Forum: Ruby on Rails get Addresses and house numbers from Post Code?

Chris R. (Guest)

does anyone know a way to get the address and a list of house numbers
from a Post Code?  Is their an online web service that will do this?
I'm creating an app for a chinese take-away and this functionality is
important.  What do you think is the best way of achieving this? for UK
post codes.

Thanks
Chris
Piers (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 14:02
Hi Chris

> does anyone know a way to get the address and a list of house numbers
> from a Post Code?  Is their an online web service that will do this?
> I'm creating an app for a chinese take-away and this functionality is
> important.  What do you think is the best way of achieving this? for UK
> post codes.

Assuming the post code means you're UK based,
http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/ might be a place to start.

There's a financial issue with alot of the postcode, geocoding stuff in
the UK though.  Basically, the all the postcodes are Royal Mail
copyrighted, so might be worth checking the soultuion costs for similar
services.

Cheers

Piers
Brian W. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 14:05
Chris R. wrote:
> Hi,
>
> does anyone know a way to get the address and a list of house numbers
> from a Post Code?  Is their an online web service that will do this?
> I'm creating an app for a chinese take-away and this functionality is
> important.  What do you think is the best way of achieving this? for UK
> post codes.
>
> Thanks
> Chris

The following sites provide postcode web services but I have not tried
using them with ruby.
http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk
http://www.afd.co.uk
http://www.allies-computing.co.uk/pcodeweb.html
http://www.etellect.co.uk/products/online-address-...

good hunting. If you do build a work solution I would be interested in
using it.
regards
Brian
Chris R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 14:21
Im wondering if there is a stand alone app that i can buy that will
allow me to get addresses of postcodes.  A web service is not ideal in
my situation because my app will most likely not connected to the
internet
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 14:23
Chris R. wrote:
> Im wondering if there is a stand alone app that i can buy that will
> allow me to get addresses of postcodes.  A web service is not ideal in
> my situation because my app will most likely not connected to the
> internet

Back in the dim and distant past, I worked for a junk mail company and
we had a thing that was bought from the Post Office at enormous expense.
It was a big proprietary DB and app.

I assume they still sell something similar.

A.
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 14:27
> I assume they still sell something similar.
>
> A.

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/rm/jump2?mediaI...
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 14:28
Apologies for multiple replies.

Ouch.  it's expensive.

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/content1?catId=...
Chris R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 14:59
do you think it would be possible to use it with rails?
Andrew E. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 15:57
Brian Watson wrote:

> The following sites provide postcode web services but I have not tried
> using them with ruby.
> http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk
> http://www.afd.co.uk
> http://www.allies-computing.co.uk/pcodeweb.html

http://www.etellect.co.uk/products/online-address-...

> good hunting. If you do build a work solution I would be interested in
> using it.
> regards
> Brian

I have used AFD products for a number of years on other non-Ruby
projects and can vouch for their reliability. I am currently redesigning
our order processing system using ROR and will no doubt be solving a
similar problem quite soon. Like Brian, I too would be interested in
which option you choose :-)

http://www.afd.co.uk/netproducts.asp

Andrew.
Tom W. (Guest)
Google is your friend:

http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk/

It's a commercial service, but seems to have the information you need.

Tom
Jonathan Conway (Guest)
Hi Chris,
We recently did this with an app we're working on and used
http://www.postcodeanywhere.co.uk.
They expose web services via SOAP, REST etc. In the end we went with the
simpler REST option. There are lots of developer docs on the site, but I
have no idea as to the cost of the service as the client already had an
account with them.

Hope this helps

Jonathan
-----