Forum: Ruby on Rails Uninstalling RUBYGEMS

Edmund L. (Guest)

does anyone know how to uninstall rubygem?

I installed and it had the notorious hanging problem that no one seems
to have an answer to.

So I am going to attempt to install Rails without gems.

Could someone point me in the right direction if you would not answer
me? =)

Regards,
Edmund
Ben R. (Guest)
What OS?

On 5/2/06, Edmund L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Could someone point me in the right direction if you would not answer
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Ben R.
303-947-0446
http://www.benr75.com
Kim S. (Guest)
On May 2, 2006, at 4:24 PM, Edmund L. wrote:

> Could someone point me in the right direction if you would not answer
> me? =)
>

> Regards,
> Edmund

If you installed rubygem with some sore of package management system, it
probably provides for an uninstall capability.  If not, here is one way
to remove it.

1. Find out where ruby installs its libraries.  If you don't know where
your libraries are located, you can execute the following command:

     ruby -e 'puts $:'

On my machine, this outputs:

     /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
     /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd5
     /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby
     /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8
     /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i386-freebsd5
     .

2.  Change into the /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8 directory.  In
there
you should find the following files that belong to rubygems:

     gemconfigure.rb
     rubygems.rb
     ubygems.rb

You should also see the directory "rubygems"

Remove these files and the directory with the following commands:

     cd /usr/local/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8
     rm -r gemconfigure.rb rubygems.rb ubygems.rb rubygems

3.  In order to remove all the gems on your computer, remove the gems
directory under /usr/local/lib/ruby with the following command:

     rm -r /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems

If your ruby libraries are installed somewhere other than /usr/local/
lib/ruby,
make the appropriate changes to the above commands.

Kim
--
  Kim S. - principal, Shrier and Deihl -
mailto:removed_email_address@domain.invalid