Forum: Ruby on Rails Converting from UTF8 to ISO-8859-1 encoding

Gregg P. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 00:07
Please help,

   I have followed the rails wiki to convert my rails application to use
UTF-8:

http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToUseUn...

   I am able to succesfully cut and paste Unicode characters from other
page, successfully store and display unicode characters.

   However, my client actually wants ISO-8859-1 encoding, which I'm
coming to realize is somehow different then UTF8.  Having UTF8 allows me
to use alot of the ISO-8859-1 strings, but not all of them.

   So my questions are:

1. What is the difference?

2. How do I configure my application for ISO-8859-1?  I tried just
changing the content-type, but there must be more to that.

   Thanks in advance,

-Gregg
=?utf-8?b?U8OpYmFzdGllbg==?= Grosjean (Guest)
Gregg P. <patched@...> writes:

>    I have followed the rails wiki to convert my rails application to use
> UTF-8:
>
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.com/rails/pages/HowToUseUn...

>    However, my client actually wants ISO-8859-1 encoding, which I'm
> coming to realize is somehow different then UTF8.  Having UTF8 allows me
> to use alot of the ISO-8859-1 strings, but not all of them.

Could you give us some exemple of string in ISO-8859-1 that don't
support UTF-8,
I personnaly don't so any until here. From my own I do web sites in
different
languages, french, english, slovak and actually use UTF-8 all the time,
I didn't
have any problem until now, except first to find how to save my files in
UTF-8,
radrails do that really easely.

>    So my questions are:
>
> 1. What is the difference?

I personaly past some good hours looking at it and find this ressource
useful
for me :

http://www.fileformat.info/

> 2. How do I configure my application for ISO-8859-1?  I tried just
> changing the content-type, but there must be more to that.

I just get a really fast look to the wiki page you give up and I think
you just
might put your application as it was before you did that.

About the Content-Type, this is only gona inform the browser about the
encoding
of your page, so if your page is not encoded with the same charset it
will not
work properly.

>    Thanks in advance,
>
> -Gregg

Good luck with charsets,
--
  Séb
Erik van Oosten (Guest)

> 1. What is the difference?

You definitely should read
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/Unicode.html titled "The Absolute
Minimum Every Software Developer Absolutely, Positively Must Know About
Unicode and Character Sets (No Excuses!)"

Regards,
      Erik.