Forum: Ruby on Rails 'NameError: uninitialized constant <MyEntity>' in console

Binil Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-05-02 13:58
When I create a new model entity, and try to access it from the Rails
console I get the error:

>> b = Bar.new(:name => 'Some Bar')
NameError: uninitialized constant Bar
        from (irb):1
        from :0

(My model class is called Bar, and is in file app/models/bar.rb)

So, I try to load the model class file, and I run into a more frigtening
error:

>> load 'app/models/bar.rb'
NameError: uninitialized constant ActiveRecord
        from ./app/models/bar.rb:1
        from (irb):3
        from :0

I am using Rails 1.1.2 with Ruby 1.8.4 on Mac OS X 10.4 and MySQL
4.1.18. I get these errors only when I use the Rails console; the model
classes are accessible from the controller and the web pages are painted
properly.

Kindly let me know what is going wrong here.

Thanks,
Binil
Binil Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 08:11
Removing the line:
 IRB.conf[:LOAD_MODULES] = ['irb/completion']
from my $HOME/.irbrc worked!

Thanks,
Binil

Binil Thomas wrote:
> When I create a new model entity, and try to access it from the Rails
> console I get the error:
>
>>> b = Bar.new(:name => 'Some Bar')
> NameError: uninitialized constant Bar
>         from (irb):1
>         from :0
Pete Y. (Guest)
How are you starting up the Rails console?
Binil Thomas (Guest)
on 2006-05-06 17:18
Pete Y. wrote:
> How are you starting up the Rails console?
By invoking script/console from the application directory.