Forum: Ruby Latex and Ruby

Jean-Etienne (Guest)

I am looking for a library to convert Latex content to png and PDF. Does
anyone know a stable one?

Jean-Etienne
Bil K. (Guest)
Jean-Etienne wrote:

> I am looking for a library to convert Latex content to png and PDF. Does
> anyone know a stable one?

Seems like most folks rely on having the pdflatex executable
laying around.

For example, see the generate_pdf method of lib/rtex/view.rb
in Bruce William's RTex Rails plugin,

  svn co http://codefluency.com/svn/codefluency/rails/plugins/rtex

and the convert_tex_to_pdf method in Instiki's app/controllers/
wiki_controller.rb, which you can see via,

  http://rubyforge.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/instiki/?...

Regards,
Bothari (Guest)
On a slightly related topic:  Does anyone know of a good way to show
the differences between 2 PDF documents?

Thanks,
Joe
David H. (Guest)
On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 10:43:14PM +0900, Bothari wrote:
> On a slightly related topic:  Does anyone know of a good way to show
> the differences between 2 PDF documents?

No, but (even further off-topic) if the original source that the PDFs
are generated from is DocBook XML, you could use Norman Walsh's DiffMk
to generate a version of the document including additional
change-markup, which you can then render to HTML, IIRC.

dave
Wybo D. (Guest)
On Mon, 1 May 2006, Bothari wrote:

> On a slightly related topic:  Does anyone know of a good way to show
> the differences between 2 PDF documents?

If it's for the textual content:

pdftotext file1.pdf # maybe with
pdftotext file2.pdf # the -layout option
diff file1.txt file2.txt