Forum: Ruby on Rails Two developers, one on unix and one on windows

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2006-05-01 06:07
Hello all,

An interesting problem, I am developing on Windows, another developer is
using Unix, and our app and svn repository are running on a Linux box.
We need an easy way to not keep breaking our app and each others
development environs when we check in the code. The piece in question is
the dispatch.fcgi. The path to ruby is (obviously) different in Windows
and Unix. Has anyone run into this and what do you do? Thanks.

- Rob Dempsey
Steve K. (Guest)
on 2006-05-01 06:23
Why are you using FastCGI for development mode? What's wrong with
WEBrick or, at most, CGI? Doesn't development against FastCGI force you
to restart servers or processes a whole lot more than you'd otherwise
need to?

If you don't need FastCGI for development, your problem disappears
because Windows ignores it under those circumstances and you can simply
set it to the Unixy path on both platforms.

If you've got a good reason for doing development against FCGI, I
suppose you could have a second dispatch.fcgi called somthing else (e.g.
dispatch-win32.fcgi) and refer to that in the webserver conf on your
windows boxes and refer to the original one on the Unixy boxes. No?

Robert D. wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> An interesting problem, I am developing on Windows, another developer is
> using Unix, and our app and svn repository are running on a Linux box.
> We need an easy way to not keep breaking our app and each others
> development environs when we check in the code. The piece in question is
> the dispatch.fcgi. The path to ruby is (obviously) different in Windows
> and Unix. Has anyone run into this and what do you do? Thanks.
>
> - Rob Dempsey
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2006-05-01 06:33
Steve,

We are using WEBrick. Do you know if it even pays attention to the
dispatch files? Thanks.

- Rob

Steve K. wrote:
> Why are you using FastCGI for development mode? What's wrong with
> WEBrick or, at most, CGI? Doesn't development against FastCGI force you
> to restart servers or processes a whole lot more than you'd otherwise
> need to?
>
> If you don't need FastCGI for development, your problem disappears
> because Windows ignores it under those circumstances and you can simply
> set it to the Unixy path on both platforms.
>
> If you've got a good reason for doing development against FCGI, I
> suppose you could have a second dispatch.fcgi called somthing else (e.g.
> dispatch-win32.fcgi) and refer to that in the webserver conf on your
> windows boxes and refer to the original one on the Unixy boxes. No?
>
Robert D. (Guest)
on 2006-05-01 15:00
Thanks everyone for your help with this. Problem solved.

- Rob D.
Daniel -. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 20:57
(Received via mailing list)
Why not put an if statement in your dispatch.cgi and set the path
depending
on which dir exists?

Is that possible?
Brian Ã?gren (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 20:57
(Received via mailing list)
I do the same thing (windows on my labtop / linux on my workstation)

just use mongrel for development :)
Philip R. (Guest)
on 2006-05-03 20:57
(Received via mailing list)
Robert D. wrote:
> We are using WEBrick. Do you know if it even pays attention to the
> dispatch files? Thanks.

WEBrick doesn't use the dispatch files.

--
Philip R.
http://tzinfo.rubyforge.org/ -- DST-aware timezone library for Ruby
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.