Forum: Ruby on Rails Subversion and Capistrano

Al E. (Guest)
on 2006-04-30 18:04
I have a project under Subversion, deployed by Capistrano.

When it is deployed, obviously I need to deploy "real" copies of
database.yml, deploy.rb, and maybe a couple of other files.

But if I offer it for public checkout, I obviously do not want these
files as part of the checked out code.

What's the best way to handle this?

--Al Evans
Gokhan A. (Guest)
on 2006-04-30 21:33
Al Evans wrote:
> I have a project under Subversion, deployed by Capistrano.
>
> When it is deployed, obviously I need to deploy "real" copies of
> database.yml, deploy.rb, and maybe a couple of other files.
>
> But if I offer it for public checkout, I obviously do not want these
> files as part of the checked out code.
>
> What's the best way to handle this?
>
> --Al Evans

upload your database.yml into shared folder seperately after first
deployment
and write a task to create a symbolic link to it during deployment.

www.sylow.net
Gokhan A.
Web D.
Al E. (Guest)
on 2006-05-01 15:57
Gokhan A. wrote:

> upload your database.yml into shared folder seperately after first
> deployment
> and write a task to create a symbolic link to it during deployment.

Thanks! That should work for the database config, anyway. I don't know
why I didn't think of it, I'm already doing that for some other files:-)

--Al Evans
Bradley T. (Guest)
Hi Al,

You could use a task that uploads database.yml after your code is
checked out on the server.

desc "Update code outside of svn."
task :after_update_code do
   put File.read("config/database.yml"), "#{release_path}/config/
database.yml", :mode => 0400
end

Good luck,
Bradley Taylor

------
Rails Machine
Simplified web application deployment
http://railsmachine.com
Kerry B. (Guest)
On 30 Apr 2006, at 3:04 pm, Al Evans wrote:

> I have a project under Subversion, deployed by Capistrano.
>
> When it is deployed, obviously I need to deploy "real" copies of
> database.yml, deploy.rb, and maybe a couple of other files.
>
> But if I offer it for public checkout, I obviously do not want these
> files as part of the checked out code.
>
> What's the best way to handle this?

No idea whether it's the best, but one way which works is described
here:

http://www.paulhammond.org/2006/03/passwords/

Kerry