Forum: Ruby on Rails what's your rails wishlist?

Charlie B. (Guest)
I've been working with rails for a while now.  Rails is the second web
framework I've tried.  It blows the doors off catalyst (perl's best
framework).  I even just wrote my first plugin (broomstick).  Ruby's
ability to meta-program blew me away with it's ease of use.  I've been
so impressed with the helpers that rails uses to make a lot of tasks
ridiculously easy, but of course rails isn't perfect.  That brings me to
my question.

What's in your wishlist for rails?

My biggest wish is a queue system for rjs.  Synchronous rjs call would
be great!
I'm really curious what everyone else is waiting to see!

Charlie B.
www.recentrambles.com
Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-29 00:44
Second best?

Joe
Toby B. (Guest)
The second he's tried, not second best.
Thomas S. (Guest)
on 2006-04-29 01:06
Updated documentation that includes sample code, not just source code.
Marston A. (Guest)
on 2006-04-29 02:26
I completely agree with better documentation and sample code, especially
coming from what PHP has to offer in that regards.  Though I am just
beginning.

Thomas S. wrote:
> Updated documentation that includes sample code, not just source code.
Peter M. (Guest)
On 4/28/06, Marston A. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I completely agree with better documentation and sample code,

Agile Web D. with Rails 2nd Edition

> especially coming from what PHP has to offer in that regards.

I agree completely. The PHP docs with the user comments are much
better than what Ruby and Rails have.
Peter M. (Guest)
On 4/28/06, Charlie B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> My biggest wish is a queue system for rjs.  Synchronous rjs call would be
> great!

What do you mean by this?

Thanks,
Peter
Conrad T. (Guest)
Hi, I would like to see the following on the wishlist:

o  better documentation with code snippets

o  better deployment mechanism for rails application... Mongrel???
    Note:  It took me 20 minutes or so to build an application but I
took me
3 times as look to deploy it.

-Conrad
Joe Van D. (Guest)
On 4/28/06, Conrad T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi, I would like to see the following on the wishlist:
>
>  o  better documentation with code snippets
>
>  o  better deployment mechanism for rails application... Mongrel???

Deploying with mongrel is pretty easy:
  $ sudo mongrel_rails start -p 80 -d -e production
(from memory)
Bill C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-29 06:30
Joe Van D. wrote:
> On 4/28/06, Conrad T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Hi, I would like to see the following on the wishlist:
>>
>>  o  better documentation with code snippets
>>
>>  o  better deployment mechanism for rails application... Mongrel???
>
> Deploying with mongrel is pretty easy:
>   $ sudo mongrel_rails start -p 80 -d -e production
> (from memory)

More options (or more easier options) to deploy rails apps on Windows
for production. (I run Windows, so you will have to speak slowly.)
Particularly if you have existing Apache PHP installs.  Oh, for added
complexity I develop on a mac. I have Apache, MySQL and PHP running
smoothly and consistently on both Windows and OS X. Ruby and Rails are
installed.

So I don't know what path to take... replace apache with Lighttpd, then
get all my PHP stuff to work again (with a whole new config file to deal
with) or pass through Apache to mongrel.

Call me lame but I would love a Windows Mongrel installer ("point to
your existing Apache (or Lighttpd) install, now point to your rails app
directory") etc. And a little control panel to show me Mongrel's status,
logs and graceful restart, shut down or start would be groovy as well. I
know none of these are on anyone's priority list... ans maybe it is too
early for this (took Apache for windows a while to offer this kind of
hand holding).
Conrad T. (Guest)
Hi Joe, thanks for your post because I wasn't sure if there was a
better mechanism.  I'll check with TextDrive.com to see if this is an
option for me.  I'm looking for an easier deployment option(s) onto
Unix hosts.

-Conrad
Kevin M. (Guest)
On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 01:32:08PM -0400, Charlie B. wrote:

> What's in your wishlist for rails?

I'm relatively new to Rails.  My Rails wish list is pretty small, mainly
because almost every time I think of something I need I find that it's
either already included in Rails or available as a
plugin/generator/engine.

So, here are a few items I'd wish for:

1.  Ensure that new versions of Rails don't break older Rails
applications.
    Since I'm still working on my first Rails app I haven't had a
problem
    with this myself.  But, I've seen enough posts about problems when
    upgrading to newer versions of Rails to know it's a problem for many
    people.

2.  Remove **ALL** frames from api.RubyOnRails.org, add a search
function,
    and generate a PDF version for those who prefer printed
documentation.

Well, I was trying for a few items but could only think of a couple.
Rails
makes things so easy it's tuff to think of things it needs.

Kevin
http://www.RawFedDogs.net
http://www.WacoAgilityGroup.org
Bruceville, TX
Isak H. (Guest)
On 4/28/06, Charlie B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> What's in your wishlist for rails?

I'd love to see support for constraints in migrations, as well
as better handling of the numeric/decimal data type.

-Isak
Giles B. (Guest)
You know, these are both pretty good suggestions. #1 I think has
become a priority for the core team, and #2 would be a pretty
worthwhile side project. If I had more time I might do it myself --
just download the API docs and feed them to PDF::Writer and Bob's your
uncle.

--
Giles B.
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

1. validates_presence_of that actually works for bools (false and true
allowed for input, nil not allowed)
2. simple constraints specified in my migration pass through to a
generated
model
3. more constraints for db in migrations (actually, not sure if this
would
be a curse or a blessing)
Robby R. (Guest)
On May 1, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Giles B. wrote:

>>     people.
Freeze your application on the current gems...

I'm more in favor of having Rails 2.0 be (even better) than being
stuck with the options I had with Rails 3 months ago. :-)

Robby

Robby R.
Founder & Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting

www.planetargon.com
www.robbyonrails.com

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4968 [fax]
Charlie B. (Guest)
Currently, if you have a 50 line rjs file, each line is sent to the
browser and executed as soon as the file is read. If you want each line
to wait until the previous line is finished you have to program in
delays.  If there was a queue system you wouldn't have to do this.

Charlie bowman
www.recentrambles.com
Warren S. (Guest)
Fixing or replacing rdoc documentation on rails.  No good searching
provided.  Spotty
coverage.  Terrible screen layout, everything is truncated on the right
or left. Ugly
colors.  Sometimes you have to know the name of the thing you're looking
for.  Lousy
index.   I am immensely grateful for rdoc's existence but cannot help
but start grumbling
when I use it, whether for rails or anything else.

Mixing api docs with source code means the documentation writers need
write access to the
source code.  Not every organization will want this.  Maybe the rails
developers do.

Warren S.
Daniel -. (Guest)
This post contains information on Queue's in rjs calls.

http://www.railsdevelopment.com/2006/01/15/effectqueue/

Hope it's what you're after.
Demius (Guest)
on 2006-08-03 15:54
Bind variables for Oracle and others
init and down methods for controllers (from Java servlets).

Rails is very beautifull.
Charlie B. (Guest)
Actually that post is not what I was talking about.  Yes there are
visual effects queues, but not all rjs is visual effects.  The queue
system you referenced is only available to visual effects.

Charlie B.
www.recentrambles.com
Giles B. (Guest)
My Rails wishlist:

I wish I'd written it.
I wish I didn't have to go to work today at my stupid Java job.

--
Giles B.
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org

I heard Glenn Vanderburg in a podcast say "You can do practically
anything
with Perl except read it."

^_^

--
Giles B.
http://www.gilesgoatboy.org
> Wish list:
>
> 1. validates_presence_of that actually works for bools (false and true
> allowed for input, nil not allowed)

Amen.

Another wish would be the function
ar_instance.save_guaranteeing_these_arent_blank(:name, :phone)
(or does it exist)

quick hack:

class ActiveRecord::Base
 def save_unless_missing *args
  self.errors.clear
  passed = true
  for arg in args
   val = self[arg]
   unless val and val != ''
     self.errors.add arg, " cannot be blank"
    passed = false
 # could add a call to validate in here
 return nil unless passed
 return save

Except that it actually worked with the validates_x_of or what not.
Cheers.
-Roger
Greg W. (Guest)
On Feb 13, 2008, at 3:50 PM, Roger P. wrote:

> (or does it exist)
You might find some of the custom validators I wrote tobe useful.
They've also been modified to allow many of the appropriate UTF-8
characters. (download link is at the bottom of the article)

http://www.railsdev.ws/blog/11/custom-validations-in-rails/

Stupid WordPress recently smashed all line endings, so the code views
are mangled a bit. :-(

--
def gw
   writes_at 'www.railsdev.ws'
> Stupid WordPress recently smashed all line endings, so the code views
> are mangled a bit. :-(
Ugh I hate it when wordpress does that--especially when you modify an
existing comment. Boo!
Thanks!
-Roger
Nathan E. (Guest)
on 2008-02-14 04:24
My major wishes for rails are three big points:

1) A really simple, fast deployment option, although I am doing alright
with capistrano + nginx + mongrel cluster, I just think a very simple
system would be awesome. Although Heroku and Switchpipe are both shaping
up as options on that front.

2) Better documentation. I am disappointed that as a community we really
do a poor job of online documentation. My favorite that I have found by
far is:

http://www.railsbrain.com/api/rails-2.0.2/doc/index.html

I love it and it is quite good as far as interface and searching is
concerned. I just wish as a community we did a better job of having
every method properly documented with a quick summary, all possible
input values, the output, side-effects and samples. I admit books such
as "Rails Way" and "AWDR" do a good job though of filling this gap.

3) Speed and Concurrent Requests. I am very interested in Thin as far as
basic speed boosts go but there is a lot of cruft in rails that slows it
down. Just simple garbage collection fixes recently revealed can speed
up rails significantly. As a community, we need to do a better job of
reviewing and refactoring old code and speeding it up. Specifically in
terms of the routing system, the garbage collection, active record
queries, etc. I also wanted to mention the hope of having a
multi-threaded ActiveRecord one day which would allow concurrent
requests similar to the work being done with Merb.

I would like to mention that Merb is a very interesting budding
alternative. Merb + Datamapper could shape up as a viable rails
alternative within the next couple years.
Fred T. (Guest)
Just better API docs.   Rdoc doesn't do it.  In fact, it blurs the
line between internal Rails code and things you are supposed to use.

There are 4 places in Rails I like to put api calls: Model, View,
Controller and Console.  Given an arbitrary helper, say, I'd like to
know whether I have access to call it in those 4 places.  From the
documentation.

Roger P. (Guest)
on 2008-02-15 02:14
> 3) Speed and Concurrent Requests. I am very interested in Thin as far as
> basic speed boosts go but there is a lot of cruft in rails that slows it
> down. Just simple garbage collection fixes recently revealed can speed
> up rails significantly.
which are you referring to?

Yeah my wish would be rails that could just 'meld' with 1.9 to be super
fast.  And fast startup time so that if you use cgi you're ok (then the
deployment problem is...less).  Ideally for deployment I guess would be
mod_rails that loads 'rails' itself then for each request it forks, goes
and reads the app's configs, and processes the file (and this is fast).
Ahhh. wishing is always so easy :)
Thoughts?
-R
Jeremy E. (Guest)
on 2008-02-15 02:54
Charlie B. wrote:
> What's in your wishlist for rails?

1) Thread safety in ActionPack
2) Thread pooling in ActiveRecord
3) Smaller memory footprint
4) Saner Ruby GC that takes copy-on-write into account (would help a lot
with 3))
Jeremy K. (Guest)
On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Jeremy E.
>  Charlie B. wrote:
>  > What's in your wishlist for rails?
>
>  1) Thread safety in ActionPack
>  2) Thread pooling in ActiveRecord

These are 'magic beans' features whose importance deserve to be
thoroughly deflated.

>  3) Smaller memory footprint
>  4) Saner Ruby GC that takes copy-on-write into account (would help a lot
>  with 3))

These are extremely valuable. Some folks have been making great
strides here in the past 6 months.

Hongli L. has modified Ruby GC to be CoW-friendly and Matz has
expressed interest in merging with Ruby 1.9:
http://izumi.plan99.net/blog/index.php/category/op...

The Acunote crew have been doing extensive memory profiling and their
patches are going straight to Rails trunk:
http://blog.pluron.com/2008/02/memory-profilin.html

Best,
jeremy
Roger P. (Guest)
on 2008-02-15 03:12
>>  3) Smaller memory footprint
>>  4) Saner Ruby GC that takes copy-on-write into account (would help a lot
>>  with 3))
>
> These are extremely valuable. Some folks have been making great
> strides here in the past 6 months.
>
> Hongli L. has modified Ruby GC to be CoW-friendly and Matz has
> expressed interest in merging with Ruby 1.9:
> http://izumi.plan99.net/blog/index.php/category/op...

Wow the new code for the GC looks a lot nicer than the old.  Note
however that it still reads all allocated memory (I believe) -- just
doesn't write to all of it anymore per sweep.  Also note that it still
uses mark and sweep so this may not be the optimal solution yet.  More
like a patch of the working one with mostly similar characteristics, and
some speed up.
Looks nicer than it used to be.
-Roger
Wes G. (Guest)
on 2008-02-15 20:30
Based on 2 years of Rails experience, as of next month, here's my wish
list:

1) Comprehensive deprecation and _removal_ information - something
better than http://www.rubyonrails.org/deprecation.  Ideally, a utility
that would scan your project and report on what would need to change to
move it to newer Rails version X.  Is API call deprecated in version X?
Is API call _gone_ in version X?

2) api.rubyonrails.org documentation that includes the version of Rails
at which an API call was introduced and whether it's been deprecated or
not (for Java people, something akin to @since and @Deprecated Javadoc
tags)

3) Support for prepared statements in ActiveRecord

4) Support for DB connection pooling in (a layer above, perhaps)
ActiveRecord

Wes
Jeremy E. (Guest)
on 2008-02-18 06:29
Jeremy K. wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Jeremy E.
>>  Charlie B. wrote:
>>  > What's in your wishlist for rails?
>>
>>  1) Thread safety in ActionPack
>>  2) Thread pooling in ActiveRecord
>
> These are 'magic beans' features whose importance deserve to be
> thoroughly deflated.

I disagree.  Thread safety in ActionPack would allow you to use fewer
processes in production, which would help memory usage.  I'm not saying
it is very important, but that doesn't mean it doesn't belong on a
wishlist.

A bigger isssue is the lack of connection/thread pooling in
ActiveRecord, which makes it pretty unusable for web frameworks such as
Ramaze. With allow_concurrency = false, if two requests need access to
the database at the same time, one fails, as there is no thread safety.
If you set allow_concurrency = true, every request gets its own
connection, but garbage collection doesn't kick in and you eventually
run out of resources (that could be a problem with the database adapter
and or Ramaze leaving references to the thread open, though).

These features are obviously important to the people designing
alternative ruby  web frameworks such as Ramaze and Merb and ORMs such
as Sequel and DataMapper.

Obviously it is easier to ignore thread safety, but do you believe that
ActionPack would be worse off if it were thread safe, or that
ActiveRecord would be worse off if it supported connection pooling?

>>  3) Smaller memory footprint
>>  4) Saner Ruby GC that takes copy-on-write into account (would help a lot
>>  with 3))
>
> These are extremely valuable. Some folks have been making great
> strides here in the past 6 months.
>
> Hongli L. has modified Ruby GC to be CoW-friendly and Matz has
> expressed interest in merging with Ruby 1.9:
> http://izumi.plan99.net/blog/index.php/category/op...

I've read about this work, but I did not know that Matz was interested.
I certainly hope it gets applied.

> The Acunote crew have been doing extensive memory profiling and their
> patches are going straight to Rails trunk:
> http://blog.pluron.com/2008/02/memory-profilin.html

That's good to know.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Ryan B. (Guest)
Roger P. wrote:
> Another wish would be the function
> ar_instance.save_guaranteeing_these_arent_blank(:name, :phone)
> (or does it exist)

For that last one, validates_presence_of does it.