Forum: Ruby on Rails ActionMailer - 550 Error - Net:SMTPFatalError

Dylan M. (Guest)
I have page on my site which sends out e-mails to all of our clients.
The idea is that if a client's e-mail bounces, the server catches the
bounce message and flags the client (from the Rails Recipes book).

This works perfectly, except in the event that the destination domain
is my own. Since I'm running my own postfix server on the same box,
instead of accepting the message and then returning an error report,
it immediately throws the following error in my controller:

Net:SMTPFatalError

550 <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>: Recipient address rejected: User
unknown in
local recipient table

Is this something I can change on my server to allow an actual report
to be emailed back, or do I need to handle this error separately (and
how would I do that?).
Robby R. (Guest)
On Apr 28, 2006, at 7:00 AM, Dylan M. wrote:

> Net:SMTPFatalError
>
> 550 <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
> local recipient table
>
> Is this something I can change on my server to allow an actual
> report to be emailed back, or do I need to handle this error
> separately (and how would I do that?).

This would be a question for the Postfix list. :-)

Robby

Robby R.
Founder & Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting

www.planetargon.com
www.robbyonrails.com

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4968 [fax]
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 28 Apr 2006, at 16:00, Dylan M. wrote:

> Net:SMTPFatalError
>
> 550 <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in
> local recipient table
>
> Is this something I can change on my server to allow an actual
> report to be emailed back, or do I need to handle this error
> separately (and how would I do that?).

 From the Postfix site:

Configuring local_recipient_maps in main.cf
The local_recipient_maps parameter specifies lookup tables with all
names or addresses of local recipients. A recipient address is local
when its domain matches $mydestination, $inet_interfaces or
$proxy_interfaces. If a local username or address is not listed in
$local_recipient_maps, then the Postfix SMTP server will reject the
address with "User unknown in local recipient table".

The default setting, shown below, assumes that you use the default
Postfix local(8) delivery agent for local delivery, where recipients
are either UNIX accounts or local aliases:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
     local_recipient_maps = proxy:unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps
To turn off unknown local recipient rejects by the SMTP server, specify:

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
     local_recipient_maps =
That is, an empty value. With this setting, the Postfix SMTP server
will not reject mail with "User unknown in local recipient table".

More info at http://www.postfix.org/LOCAL_RECIPIENT_README.html

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Dylan M. (Guest)