Forum: Ruby on Rails Noob Design Question

Joe C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-27 19:09
I have chunk of data that I need for the life of the session.  I am
going to use it for selects through out my app.

Is the best place to keep this data in the session?  Is the session
easily spoofed or cracked?  While viewing the data is not critical in
itself, spoofing it could cause me massive headaches.
Ben R. (Guest)
If a user is messing with the session, then f*ck em.  Not your issue.
If the data is small the session will work.

~ Ben

On 4/27/06, Joe C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

Ben R.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
http://www.benr75.com
Ray B. (Guest)
Joe C. wrote:

> I have chunk of data that I need for the life of the session.  I am
> going to use it for selects through out my app.
>
> Is the best place to keep this data in the session?  Is the session
> easily spoofed or cracked?  While viewing the data is not critical in
> itself, spoofing it could cause me massive headaches.

Unless you are doing something unusual, the session data is stored on
your system either in your file system, in your database, or perhaps in
memory. The user cannot directly manipulate the it.

The user only has a cookie that contains the session_id. This session_id
is 128 bits. Practically the only thing that a user could do is delete
their cookie, or to replace their cookie with the cookie from another
user that they somehow managed to steal.

--

Ray