Article: Open Says Me

I just finished my latest contribution, “Open Says Me”.

Managing the browser experience using JavaScript, Ajax and a Cookie.

It’s built on top of Rails, of course. Feedback is always appreciated!

Pete

On 4/26/06, Pete F. [email protected] wrote:

I just finished my latest contribution, “Open Says Me”.

unspace.ca

Managing the browser experience using JavaScript, Ajax and a Cookie.

It’s built on top of Rails, of course. Feedback is always appreciated!

Great article, love the idea, the only thing that turns me off is the
need
for multiple controllers. I’m wondering if you can use respond_to, or a
similar mechanism to handle the backwards compatibility. By keeping a
single controller you are reducing the risk of repeating your business
logic
in multiple places.

Something like this perhaps:

def show
broswer.supports do |type|
type.flash?
render ui.flash
type.cookies? && type.ajax?
render ui.v2.0
default
render ui.v1.0

Thoughts?

Josh

Hey Josh!

Thanks for the kind words.

I try to keep my articles super-conceptual so that people that read them
are more likely to apply the ideas to their problem domain.

before_filter is awesome for its’ simplicity, but in lots of cases -
it’s overkill. respond_to would definately work on a per-page basis.

See - when I write, I always try to sneak in gratuitous “look how easy
this was to do with Rails!” subliminal messages. PHP developers don’t
have before_filter functionality. *

Pete

  • do they?
[...]

Rails mailing list

Pete F. wrote:

See - when I write, I always try to sneak in gratuitous “look how easy
this was to do with Rails!” subliminal messages. PHP developers don’t
have before_filter functionality. *

Pete

  • do they?
    At the php.ini-level, yes. You can specify a file to get processed
    before anything else gets loaded.

I added something more similar to before_filter to a PHP framework I was
working on last year which, over time, started to look remarkably
familiar :slight_smile: