Joe Van D. (Guest)

I'm creating RPM packages for:
  - opinion (which includes Rails)
  - ruby 1.8.4
  - mongrel
  - rake
  - gem_plugin
  - ruby-postgres

(I want to install opinion using postgres on a RHEL system that
doesn't have internet access)

Do these things need rubygems also installed?  Am i going to be
breaking things (i.e. mongrel) if I don't use rubygems?

Thanks,
Joe
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 4/26/06, Joe Van D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> (I want to install opinion using postgres on a RHEL system that
> doesn't have internet access)
>
> Do these things need rubygems also installed?  Am i going to be
> breaking things (i.e. mongrel) if I don't use rubygems?

To my knowledge, gem_plugin is the only thing on that list that
requires rubygems.  I know I've installed Mongrel without gems in the
past.
Zed S. (Guest)
Joe,

Yes, Mongrel uses a little tiny chunk of code called GemPlugins to allow
others to extend Mongrel without having to make me add the code in.
It's
already spawned Bradley Taylor's mongrel_cluster plugin which is helping
many people do clustered deployments.  Not including RubyGems would
break
this and pretty much be like disabling modules in Apache.

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/