Forum: Ruby on Rails imagemagic / rmagic dmg for OSX?

Larry W. (Guest)
Is there a pre-built disk image for rmagic on OSX (including image magic
and
all the other pre-requisites)?  I've seen that it comes on the
Locomotive
image but I don't want to replace my entire development environment.

Does anybody have a sense of how reliable it is on OSX? I've seen some
fairly negative comments when googling, but that's not the best way to
get a
fair and balanced picture.
Tim H. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 17:04
Larry W. wrote:
> Is there a pre-built disk image for rmagic on OSX (including image magic
> and
> all the other pre-requisites)?  I've seen that it comes on the
> Locomotive
> image but I don't want to replace my entire development environment.
>
> Does anybody have a sense of how reliable it is on OSX? I've seen some
> fairly negative comments when googling, but that's not the best way to
> get a
> fair and balanced picture.

There is no DMG for RMagick but DarwinPorts has RMagick 1.9.2 and
ImageMagick 6.2.4 available. (Ref:
http://www.andrewdupont.net/2006/04/13/link-rmagick/)
Also see:
http://lfthoughts.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_lfthough... about
installing RMagick on OS X.
Dave H. (Guest)
I second Tim's link of
http://lfthoughts.blogspot.com/2006_03_01_lfthough...

Those steps worked perfect for me.

As for being reliable: I haven't had any issues as of yet. I have a form
on
my page where people can upload pictures, etc... *Magick works great for
creating the thumbnails and such. It is a bit slow, but I'm thinking
that's
my code and not *Magick's fault. I'm getting more and more into
ImageMagick
as of late. Sorry for the blog spam, but if you want to read a little
more
about the issues and successes I've had it with it, check it out
http://antrover.com/blog/articles/tag/imagemagick  Who knows, it might
help
you out. :-)

-Dave H.
Raymond B. (Guest)
Also, check Locomotive, you can use that w/ ImageMagick built-in, and
it's very fast for running apps on your Mac.

http://locomotive.raaum.org/home/show/HomePage

-ray
Henry (Guest)
I used darwin ports and it worked like a charm.

I have had no issues with *Magick. It has turned out to be way more
reliable than the alternatives.
Peter (Guest)
on 2006-04-27 01:42
I installed everything from scratch and that takes some time.
But I must say that for me as well it works as advertised.
In combination with file_column.

I saw that people had memory problems but that was explained.
I watched my memory and there was no problem at all.
Now I am not in production yet so I have to see.

But I wanted people to know because some people are negative
about RMagick and I think thats not fair.

And then the disk image.
How would one make that in a busy /usr/local
It has to be a clean install right?

Probably a package for Apple's installer would be better