Forum: Ruby Compiling Ruby

Kuppas K. (Guest)

  I would like to compile Ruby with minimum features like Base Object,
Number, File IO, etc. (ie., I wanted to exclude the unit test, xml, ssl,
UI, etc)

Thanks,
-Kuppa
Joel VanderWerf (Guest)
kuppas kuppa wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I would like to compile Ruby with minimum features like Base Object,
> Number, File IO, etc. (ie., I wanted to exclude the unit test, xml, ssl,
> UI, etc)
>
> Thanks,
> -Kuppa

Never tried it, but maybe you could just remove the contents of lib/,
and remove all the subdirs of ext/. But none of these things go into the
ruby executable (except extensions, and even then only if you requested
it by playing with ext/Setup).
Kuppas K. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 03:05
Thanks Joel,

Actually I wanted to build small ruby interpreter to fit into some small
OS like DSL, feather Linux, etc.

Thanks,
-Kuppa

Joel VanderWerf wrote:
> kuppas kuppa wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>   I would like to compile Ruby with minimum features like Base Object,
>> Number, File IO, etc. (ie., I wanted to exclude the unit test, xml, ssl,
>> UI, etc)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Kuppa
>>

> Never tried it, but maybe you could just remove the contents of lib/,
> and remove all the subdirs of ext/. But none of these things go into the
> ruby executable (except extensions, and even then only if you requested
> it by playing with ext/Setup).
unknown (Guest)
When building ruby, a program called miniruby is built; it seems to be
a full ruby interpreter with minimal libs included.  At work, I use it
as a FreeBSD sysinstall replacement (well, I wrote a sysinstall
replacement in Ruby, and my statically linked ruby calls that from
init).  It seems to do what you need.
Kuppas K. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 21:19
Thanks Guest, I think, it should work.  I will try and let you know.

-Kuppa