Forum: Ruby on Rails Newb Gem Install Help!

Derek G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-25 21:15
This seems newbish, but I can't seem to get this gem to install no
matter what I do. The gem in question is login_generator, and no matter
what folder I put the .gem file in, it can't read locally - am I missing
something?

Remote install hangs at updating the source.
Alex W. (Guest)
on 2006-04-25 21:21
Derek G. wrote:
> This seems newbish, but I can't seem to get this gem to install no
> matter what I do. The gem in question is login_generator, and no matter
> what folder I put the .gem file in, it can't read locally - am I missing
> something?
>
> Remote install hangs at updating the source.

do

gem install name_of_gem_file.gem

At the command propmt, while the prompt is in the same directory as your
gem file.  There is no magic 'look for gems to install here' directory,
so you install it form the same directory that your command prompt is
navigated to.
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 4/25/06, Derek G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> This seems newbish, but I can't seem to get this gem to install no
> matter what I do. The gem in question is login_generator, and no matter
> what folder I put the .gem file in, it can't read locally - am I missing
> something?
>
> Remote install hangs at updating the source.

Change to the directory that you've downloaded the .gem file into, and
type:
gem install the_gem_file_name.gem

That will unpack it into your gems folder, and you can then delete the
.gem file.
Derek G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-25 21:29
Alex W. wrote:
> Derek G. wrote:
>> This seems newbish, but I can't seem to get this gem to install no
>> matter what I do. The gem in question is login_generator, and no matter
>> what folder I put the .gem file in, it can't read locally - am I missing
>> something?
>>
>> Remote install hangs at updating the source.
>
> do
>
> gem install name_of_gem_file.gem
>
> At the command propmt, while the prompt is in the same directory as your
> gem file.  There is no magic 'look for gems to install here' directory,
> so you install it form the same directory that your command prompt is
> navigated to.

Hmmm..it does give a different response, but it doesn't get any
further..

ERROR: Error installing gem login_generator.gem[.gem]: no such file or
directory - .

I've been trying to get this to work since yesterday for hours and still
not any further.
Derek G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-25 21:32
Derek G. wrote:
> Alex W. wrote:
>> Derek G. wrote:
>>> This seems newbish, but I can't seem to get this gem to install no
>>> matter what I do. The gem in question is login_generator, and no matter
>>> what folder I put the .gem file in, it can't read locally - am I missing
>>> something?
>>>
>>> Remote install hangs at updating the source.
>>
>> do
>>
>> gem install name_of_gem_file.gem
>>
>> At the command propmt, while the prompt is in the same directory as your
>> gem file.  There is no magic 'look for gems to install here' directory,
>> so you install it form the same directory that your command prompt is
>> navigated to.
>
> Hmmm..it does give a different response, but it doesn't get any
> further..
>
> ERROR: Error installing gem login_generator.gem[.gem]: no such file or
> directory - .
>
> I've been trying to get this to work since yesterday for hours and still
> not any further.

Hold up, I think I spotted something that seemed perfectly harmless
before. in gem environment, it lists  a hyphen before gem path and
remote resources..that seems like it could cause the error, yes?

I can't seem to find the rubygems install config file in my copy of
InstantRails, however..
Derek G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 01:42
anybody? This is getting frustrating now, been trying to get this to
work since this time yesterday.
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 4/25/06, Derek G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> anybody? This is getting frustrating now, been trying to get this to
> work since this time yesterday.

Let's say the .gem file you downloaded was called "login_generator.gem"
Further, let's say that you downloaded it to c:\example\

1. Open a command prompt.
2. cd \example
3. gem install login_generator.gem

If that somehow fails, make sure you have the latest version of
RubyGems installed.

I just did this myself, and it works fine:

C:\Temp>gem install rspec-0.5.3.gem
Attempting local installation of 'rspec-0.5.3.gem'
Successfully installed rspec, version 0.5.3
Installing RDoc documentation for rspec-0.5.3...

C:\Temp>
Derek G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 02:44
Wilson B. wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Derek G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> anybody? This is getting frustrating now, been trying to get this to
>> work since this time yesterday.
>>

> Let's say the .gem file you downloaded was called "login_generator.gem"
> Further, let's say that you downloaded it to c:\example\
>
> 1. Open a command prompt.
> 2. cd \example
> 3. gem install login_generator.gem
>
> If that somehow fails, make sure you have the latest version of
> RubyGems installed.
>
> I just did this myself, and it works fine:
>
> C:\Temp>gem install rspec-0.5.3.gem
> Attempting local installation of 'rspec-0.5.3.gem'
> Successfully installed rspec, version 0.5.3
> Installing RDoc documentation for rspec-0.5.3...
>
> C:\Temp

Okay, I've tried everything so far. Rubygems is .8.11 and I'm doing
everything exactly like yours, but it's still not doing it's thing..

I thought it might be login_generator, but downloading other gems
doesn't allow me to install either. Gah, I'm so lost.
Wilson B. (Guest)
On 4/25/06, Derek G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> > 1. Open a command prompt.
> > Successfully installed rspec, version 0.5.3
> > Installing RDoc documentation for rspec-0.5.3...
> >
> > C:\Temp
>
> Okay, I've tried everything so far. Rubygems is .8.11 and I'm doing
> everything exactly like yours, but it's still not doing it's thing..
>
> I thought it might be login_generator, but downloading other gems
> doesn't allow me to install either. Gah, I'm so lost.

Can you paste a big chunk of what you're seeing at the command prompt?
Derek G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 04:14
Wilson B. wrote:
> On 4/25/06, Derek G. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> > 1. Open a command prompt.
>> > Successfully installed rspec, version 0.5.3
>> > Installing RDoc documentation for rspec-0.5.3...
>> >
>> > C:\Temp
>>
>> Okay, I've tried everything so far. Rubygems is .8.11 and I'm doing
>> everything exactly like yours, but it's still not doing it's thing..
>>
>> I thought it might be login_generator, but downloading other gems
>> doesn't allow me to install either. Gah, I'm so lost.
>>

> Can you paste a big chunk of what you're seeing at the command prompt?

Sure thing, here goes:

C:\InstantRails\rails_apps>cd ..

C:\InstantRails>cd ..

C:\>cd gemvault

C:\gemvault>dir
 Volume in drive C is Yun-Shuno
 Volume Serial Number is 088C-876E

 Directory of C:\gemvault

25/04/2006  03:41 PM    <DIR>          .
25/04/2006  03:41 PM    <DIR>          ..
24/04/2006  04:45 PM             9,216 login_generator.gem
25/04/2006  03:41 PM            16,384 shorturl-0.8.3.gem
               2 File(s)         25,600 bytes
               2 Dir(s)   8,105,172,992 bytes free

C:\gemvault>gem install --local login_generator.gem
Attempting local installation of 'login_generator.gem'
ERROR:  Error installing gem login_generator.gem[.gem]: No such file or
director
y - .
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 13:19
Derek G. wrote:
> Wilson B. wrote:

>>> Okay, I've tried everything so far. Rubygems is .8.11 and I'm doing
>>> everything exactly like yours, but it's still not doing it's thing..

> C:\gemvault>gem install --local login_generator.gem

is different from

gem install login_generator.gem

A.
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 13:21
Alan F. wrote:
> Derek G. wrote:
>> Wilson B. wrote:

>> C:\gemvault>gem install --local login_generator.gem
>
> is different from
>
> gem install login_generator.gem

If you do want to use the optionbs, they go at the end, by the way:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>gem help install
Usage: gem install GEMNAME [options]

Alan
Raveendran .. (Guest)
on 2008-04-24 15:35
Hi Derek,

Click this link and download the gem.

http://rubyforge.vm.bytemark.co.uk/gems/login_gene...

c:\sample\DOWNLOAD HERE

In cmd prompt,
c:\sample> gem install login_generator-1.2.2.gem

After wards also u will get same error then

http://rubyforge.vm.bytemark.co.uk/gems/login_suga...

Try with this gem.

Regards,
P.Raveendran