Forum: Ruby on Rails A question of style - save vs. save!

Keith L. (Guest)
on 2006-04-24 23:23
A pseudo poll on AR error handling...

With AR, you have the choice between the following:

(1)

if thing.save
  go_for_it
else
  handle_the_error
end

(2)
begin
  thing.save!
rescue RecordInvalid => error
  handle_the_error
end

(3)
override rescue_action_in_public (ala the recipes book)
or do something homegrown, and then just

thing.save!

---
The questions are:
-Which idiom do you use and why?
-Are you consistent across your app/controllers, or do you mix and
match?
-Or do you just trust the gods of the Database and skip error handling
altogether?

Keith
François B. (Guest)
Hello Keith !

2006/4/24, Keith L. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> -Which idiom do you use and why?

redirect_to() && return if model.save

> -Are you consistent across your app/controllers, or do you mix and
> match?

Depends on what I'm doing.  If the probability of having invalid data
is feeble (setting a flag on/off, changing a status), I'll use
model.save!, to ensure no invalid data is left hanging.

> -Or do you just trust the gods of the Database and skip error handling
> altogether?

Yikes, who would do that ?  Where do I put that chicken ?

Bye !