Forum: Ruby on Rails [ANN] mongrel_cluster 0.1: easy mongrel clustering

Bradley T. (Guest)
Hi y'all;

A quick note to announce the release of mongrel_cluster, a gem_plugin
for Mongrel. This plugin provides commands for managing multiple
Mongrel processes behind a reverse-proxy server and load balancer.

To install:
gem install mongrel_cluster

Configure (use -h to options):
mongrel_rails cluster::configure

Start:
mongrel_rails cluster::start

I've posted a quick how-to on my blog:
http://fluxura.com/articles/2006/04/24/easy-mongre...
mongrel_cluster

This is the first of many open source releases to support simplified
Ruby on Rails application deployment and is an extraction from my
work on Rails Machine. Stay tuned for Capistrano tasks, rc scripts,
and other good stuff. Give it a try and let me know how it works.

Thanks,
Bradley Taylor

------
Rails Machine
Simplified web application deployment
http://railsmachine.com

Questions on Ruby on Rails deployment? Stop by:
http://railsmachine.campfirenow.com/ff0c6
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Apr 24, 2006, at 8:49 AM, bradley taylor wrote:

> Configure (use -h to options):
> simplified Ruby on Rails application deployment and is an
> http://railsmachine.com
>
> Questions on Ruby on Rails deployment? Stop by:
> http://railsmachine.campfirenow.com/ff0c6

Very nice Bradley. Thanks!

-Ezra
Dan S. (Guest)
Nice one Bradley!

This seems to get around the problems I was having with mongrel +
capistrano where a new deployment and symlink update was not picked up
by the mongrel processes (they were keeping the old symlink target on
restart)

All I had to do was change in mongrel_cluster.yml
<snip>
cwd: /path/to/application/releases/20060411090306
</snip>
which was automatically inserted by cluster::configure, to
<snip>
cwd: /path/to/application/current
</snip>

That's just from my preliminary testing so let me know if I've missed
something, but failing any major problems this is going into
production!

Many thanks,
Dan
Bradley T. (Guest)
On Apr 26, 2006, at 1:43 AM, Dan S. wrote:

> Nice one Bradley!

Thanks!

> <snip>
> cwd: /path/to/application/current
> </snip>

I've found a few bugs with respect to use with Capistrano and I
should have fixes shortly. The next release, mongrel_cluster 0.2,
will fix the bugs and add a Capistrano task library. Thanks for
trying it out!

Regards,
Bradley Taylor
------
On 4/27/06, bradley taylor <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I've found a few bugs with respect to use with Capistrano and I
> should have fixes shortly. The next release, mongrel_cluster 0.2,
> will fix the bugs and add a Capistrano task library. Thanks for
> trying it out!

I used it last night to deploy mongrel into production for one of my
sites. I documented the process last night and although I am not the
best capistrano user out there you might want to have a look at the
tasks I wrote.
http://www.dansketcher.com/2006/04/26/capistrano-m...
To be honest though, it was an absolute piece of cake thanks to your
work.

Cheers,
Dan