Forum: Ruby on Rails radrails gone mad

Luke H. (Guest)
Hi *,

I have been using radrails as an IDE for awhile now and we were getting
along just fine - but recently it has just gone totally postal?!??

I created a new rails app - when I click to expand the folders there is
no framework in place, just the root folder of the app.

To add insult to injury two weeks of work also just disapeered - I kid
you not just gone without any deletion on my part.

As a way forward I have updated to 0.6.2 but its still the same :-/

At this rate I am going back to a dos box and sciTE.

Cheers,
Luke
Robby R. (Guest)
Luke H. wrote:
> To add insult to injury two weeks of work also just disapeered - I kid
> you not just gone without any deletion on my part.

Ouch... not using subversion or anything for your coding?

-Robby

--
Robby R.
Founder & Executive Director

PLANET ARGON, LLC
Ruby on Rails Development, Consulting & Hosting

www.planetargon.com
www.robbyonrails.com

+1 503 445 2457
+1 877 55 ARGON [toll free]
+1 815 642 4968 [fax]
Curtis S. (Guest)
Luke H. wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I have been using radrails as an IDE for awhile now and we were getting
> along just fine - but recently it has just gone totally postal?!??
>
> I created a new rails app - when I click to expand the folders there is
> no framework in place, just the root folder of the app.
If you check the directory structure in the actual file system is
anything there?  Also what happens if you right-click the nodes in the
IDE and select "refresh"?
Steve K. (Guest)
on 2006-04-24 06:13
As someone else asked re: the skelton that didn't show up, have you
looked at the directory itself and confirmed the skeleton really was
generated? I still do my initial "rails projectname" from the
commandline and follow the directions for "importing an existing
project" into Radrails.. The generator hooks in Radrails, though new,
mostly seem to work, but the older wizard to create a brand-new
skeleton, not so much.

As for the two weeks of work that disappeared, have you looked in the
directory from the commandline or your usual file explorer? It's mighty
unlikely, but maybe Eclipse got confused about where your projects are
stored.

And in the event you right-clicked the top of your project's tree and
selected "delete" or a cat did same with delete key and didn't know it,
that would be pretty bad, but is mitigated pretty enormously if you're
using version control.

Luke H. wrote:
> Hi *,
>
> I have been using radrails as an IDE for awhile now and we were getting
> along just fine - but recently it has just gone totally postal?!??
>
> I created a new rails app - when I click to expand the folders there is
> no framework in place, just the root folder of the app.
>
> To add insult to injury two weeks of work also just disapeered - I kid
> you not just gone without any deletion on my part.
>
> As a way forward I have updated to 0.6.2 but its still the same :-/
>
> At this rate I am going back to a dos box and sciTE.
>
> Cheers,
> Luke
Curtis S. (Guest)
Steve K. wrote:
> And in the event you right-clicked the top of your project's tree and
> selected "delete" or a cat did same with delete key and didn't know it,
> that would be pretty bad, but is mitigated pretty enormously if you're
> using version control.
Yes, you can download subversion (for free--subversion.tigris.org) and
host it on a machine in your network (or even locally) and get it set up
quite quickly.  Or you can utilize a hosting account with a good
provider (such as TextDrive) and get a hosted site (including subversion
repositories) for about $12 / month.  A subversion repository will be
the best $12/monthly you *ever* spent.  ;)
Hemant K. (Guest)
Radrails...shouldn't delete the actual files from file system...just
checkout the actual dir.

And...the software is still beta....but if actual files are there in the
file system..then you can create a empty project and import the existing
project from file system.

And...i would suggest, you to post this thing on radrails mailing
list.....