Forum: Ruby on Rails really silly question (my first project and such)

Fred (Guest)
Hi all

My question has to do with a statement made in the database.yml file as
generated by RadRails-

"
# There is no gem for Windows. Install mysql.so from RubyForApache.

# http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyforapache

"

Is webrick based on the apache web server?  I don't understand this
particular aspect yet.  I apologize if radrails questions aren't
supposed to
be here, but I figured someone must know something.

Thanks!

Fred
Alex W. (Guest)
on 2006-04-23 23:03
Fred wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My question has to do with a statement made in the database.yml file as
> generated by RadRails-
>
> "
> # There is no gem for Windows. Install mysql.so from RubyForApache.
>
> # http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubyforapache
>
> "
>
> Is webrick based on the apache web server?  I don't understand this
> particular aspect yet.  I apologize if radrails questions aren't
> supposed to
> be here, but I figured someone must know something.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Fred

I wouldn't worry about it.  There is a problem with old mysql bindings
that didn't work very well.  And on a windows box the only way to get
the newest mysql bindings was to install that RubyForApache package.

As long as you are not running the app from Apache on windows I am
pretty sure you can ignore that comment.  It's only for windows Apache
being able to use ruby to connect mysql.

And Webrick is not based on Apache at all.  It's a lightweight server
built entirely form scratch in ruby.