Forum: Ruby on Rails Error on new install "View Application's Environment"

Adrian P. (Guest)
on 2006-04-23 20:04
Hello. I recently installed Rails on Gentoo, and did a "rails
/var/www/localhost/htdocs/parallel_bible/" just to test. Everything
*seemed* to work fine, but when I clicked on the "View your
Application's Environment" link, this happens (screenshot attached):
http://thegoban.com/rorerror.png

Any ideas? Is this normal? I know it's not actually stopping me from
doing anything, but its a bit unnerving to not know why this is
happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!
--Adrian
Alex W. (Guest)
on 2006-04-23 22:56
Adrian Petrescu wrote:
> Hello. I recently installed Rails on Gentoo, and did a "rails
> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/parallel_bible/" just to test. Everything
> *seemed* to work fine, but when I clicked on the "View your
> Application's Environment" link, this happens (screenshot attached):
> http://thegoban.com/rorerror.png
>
> Any ideas? Is this normal? I know it's not actually stopping me from
> doing anything, but its a bit unnerving to not know why this is
> happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
>
> Thanks!
> --Adrian

Most likely the problem is the rails root is not in the root of the
domain, so when the ajax request goes to:
"http://192.168.1.23/parallel_bible/public/rails/in...

the routing is expecting:
"http://192.168.1.23/rails/info/properties"

Rails doesnt like being in a subfolder, and I haven't gotten routing +
asset helpers to behave nicely from a subfolder.  I suggest testing a
new app from a subdomain rather than a directory.

That said, there are way to get rails working in a subdirectory, it's
just a bit more footwork, and I am unfamilar with the procedure.
Adrian P. (Guest)
on 2006-04-24 00:21
I thought this might be the problem too, but when I did "updatedb &&
locate rails_info/properties", it didn't find anything anywhere on the
system. If it was simply a matter of incorrect routing, then surely the
correct destination would be *somewhere* on the machine, right?

Alex W. wrote:
> Adrian Petrescu wrote:
>> Hello. I recently installed Rails on Gentoo, and did a "rails
>> /var/www/localhost/htdocs/parallel_bible/" just to test. Everything
>> *seemed* to work fine, but when I clicked on the "View your
>> Application's Environment" link, this happens (screenshot attached):
>> http://thegoban.com/rorerror.png
>>
>> Any ideas? Is this normal? I know it's not actually stopping me from
>> doing anything, but its a bit unnerving to not know why this is
>> happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
>>
>> Thanks!
>> --Adrian
>
> Most likely the problem is the rails root is not in the root of the
> domain, so when the ajax request goes to:
> "http://192.168.1.23/parallel_bible/public/rails/in...
>
> the routing is expecting:
> "http://192.168.1.23/rails/info/properties"
>
> Rails doesnt like being in a subfolder, and I haven't gotten routing +
> asset helpers to behave nicely from a subfolder.  I suggest testing a
> new app from a subdomain rather than a directory.
>
> That said, there are way to get rails working in a subdirectory, it's
> just a bit more footwork, and I am unfamilar with the procedure.
Alex W. (Guest)
on 2006-04-24 12:27
That route is specifically looking for "/rails/info/properties" the
trouble is if you actually go there, that url is not being handled by
rails.  And if your in the rails sub directory, then it will never match
that route.  So you wont be able to get to it at all.