Forum: Ruby on Rails Gems installation into custom directory

zven (Guest)
I it possible to install gems into custom directory (user dir)? There no
any specific parameters in setup.rm I don't wanna see unpackaged
binaries into my Debian system ;) Or maybe someone can send me a link
with .deb's?

Thanks in advance.
Roberto S. (Guest)
hey, they are packaged, but with gem and not with dpkg ..
Michael G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-22 18:00
zven wrote:
> I it possible to install gems into custom directory (user dir)? There no
> any specific parameters in setup.rm I don't wanna see unpackaged
> binaries into my Debian system ;) Or maybe someone can send me a link
> with .deb's?
>
> Thanks in advance.

My prefered approach has been to build ruby from scratch in /usr/local
and install gems there.  It keeps all the locally installed componenets
completely seperate from the distribution but still works exactly like
everyone elses ruby install.
Michael G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-22 18:02
Michael G. wrote:

> My prefered approach has been to build ruby from scratch in /usr/local
> and install gems there.  It keeps all the locally installed componenets
> completely seperate from the distribution but still works exactly like
> everyone elses ruby install.

Here's a howto I wrote for myself on my last Ubuntu install... it should
be the same for debian.  http://mgreenly.metaspot.net/?p=37