Forum: Ferret index_dir path

Joerg D. (Guest)

I am running several applications, and I need them to share their
indexed data. So instead of putting my index in the default location of

RAILS_ROOT/index/RAILS_ENV

I want it to appear in

RAILS_ROOT/../index/RAILS_ENV

(ie in the parent directory of each of my root directories ... I have
three apps working together)

In the acts_as_ferret file, I have changed line 73 to: index_base =
"#{RAILS_ROOT}/../index"

In my console, I can see that the new path is reflected properly.

>> MyModel.class_index_dir
=> "./script/../config/../config/../../index/development/MyModel"

However, the index is STILL placed in the default location of
RAILS_ROOT/index/RAILS_ENV

Any ideas .... ?

Thanks
Joerg
Jens K. (Guest)
Hi Joerg,

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 05:39:11PM +0200, Joerg D. wrote:
[..]
> In my console, I can see that the new path is reflected properly.
>
> >> MyModel.class_index_dir
> => "./script/../config/../config/../../index/development/MyModel"
>

> However, the index is STILL placed in the default location of
> RAILS_ROOT/index/RAILS_ENV
>
> Any ideas .... ?

just guessing, maybe your running app doesn't use your patched
acts_as_ferret.rb ?

I just tried to reproduce the problem, but everything worked fine here.

regards,
Jens

--
webit! Gesellschaft für neue Medien mbH          www.webit.de
Dipl.-Wirtschaftsingenieur Jens Krämer

  production
    content
  development
    content
myapp_1
  app
  components
  config
  db
  doc
  lib
myapp_2
  app
  components
  config
  db
  doc
  lib

As opposed to having the index folder inside each application. For this
I changed line 73 (inacts_as_ferret) to

index_base = "#{RAILS_ROOT}/../index"

This should work ... but it still creates the index folder inside the
application folder. Using the console, however, reveals that it has
picked up this index_base change - but seems to be ignoring it.

I'm running XP. Let me know if I can give you any more information.