Forum: Ruby anybody working on GEDCOM data?

Wybo D. (Guest)
Is anybody working on GEDCOM-formatted genealogy data?
(thinking of making a GEDCOM editor)
Dave B. (Guest)
Wybo D. wrote:
> Is anybody working on GEDCOM-formatted genealogy data?
> (thinking of making a GEDCOM editor)

Not as far as I know, but there are some GEDCOM parsers here:

http://rubyquiz.com/quiz6.html

Cheers,
Dave
pat eyler (Guest)
On 4/18/06, Wybo D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Is anybody working on GEDCOM-formatted genealogy data?
> (thinking of making a GEDCOM editor)

Not that I know of.  Are you thinking of taking it on?   I'd love to
see this happen, and may be able to scrape up some docs
etc. to help (and maybe put in some time, if I can scrape any
together).  (I work on the www.familysearch.org site.)

--
thanks,
-pate
> Is anybody working on GEDCOM-formatted genealogy data?
> (thinking of making a GEDCOM editor)

Posted on behalf of Hans F.... [1]

[quote]

The quiz stuff [mentioned by Dave B.] might make a good start, but
-- with perhaps an exception or two -- most of it is specific to the
quiz, and not as general as you'd want for a gedcom lib.

Jamis B. has an old project from his ruby youth[2] to do gedcom
parsing. Jamis and I were working on a rewrite at one point.

It's not hard to make a basic gedcom parser, either sax style or dom
style, and I could probably do it in a weekend, but performance
optimization would be another story. When I wrote one in C++ (or was
it Java?) when doing research at the University it was terribly slow
due to dynamic memory allocation issues. Ruby may be better than my
naive dynamic memory allocation code, but I imagine you could still
make mistakes to cause problems with memory management.

I have all the docs necessary and would be happy to point people in
the right direction and/or mentor any efforts.

[/quote]

Jacob F.

[1] Hans reads through the newsgroup, and apparently the gateway is
broken, since he didn't see this message. This is a minor editing of
what he told me and asked to have posted to the mailing list after I
pointed the thread out to him. You can contact him directly at
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

[2] http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/gedcom-ruby/
Wybo D. (Guest)
On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Jacob F. wrote:

> On 4/18/06, Wybo D. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> Is anybody working on GEDCOM-formatted genealogy data?
>> (thinking of making a GEDCOM editor)
>
> Posted on behalf of Hans F.... [1]
> [...]
> I have all the docs necessary and would be happy to point people in
> the right direction and/or mentor any efforts.

I'm very interested in those docs!
(and any other information you have)