Forum: Ruby Resources to get started with ruby

Andrea (Guest)
on 2006-04-17 19:48
Hi - Im looking to find resources on ruby I have found rubyforums.co.uk
has some great tutorials, can anyone suggest any other places I might
find easy tutorials

thanx
Keith S. (Guest)
I personally liked 'Why's Poignant Guide to Ruby'.
http://poignantguide.net/ruby/  It's a different approach to learning
a language.  You can also read the old PickAxe book online
http://www.rubycentral.com/book/

hth,
Giles B. (Guest)
Pickaxe book from the Pragmatic Programmers is the canonical
reference, Why's guide is very fun. But if you want something easy and
you're coming from a nontechnical perspective, google for Amy Hoy and
Rails, she has some stuff which speaks the language of designers (if
that's where you're coming from) and generally brings technical
understanding without overly technical focus/emphasis.

Giles
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 4/17/06, Andrea <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> Hi - Im looking to find resources on ruby I have found rubyforums.co.uk
> has some great tutorials, can anyone suggest any other places I might
> find easy tutorials

Why's guide and the Pickaxe have been mentioned, and both are great
references.  I'd suggest purchasing the second edition of the pickaxe
if you plan to get more involved in Ruby, because there is a ton of
additional content in that version.

Also, there is the RubyQuiz (www.rubyquiz.com), and of course, do not
underestimate the value of this list!  There are many very bright and
helpful people here who are happy to answer questions and the archive
is rich with good information.

Coincidentally, I've been covering some newbie topics on the O'Reilly
ruby weblog (http://oreillynet.com/ruby) which I'm calling the
NubyGems series.  These are mostly about specific little hangups, but
maybe these will help.

Also... check to see if you have a Ruby users group in your area.
This may be one of the best and most fun ways to learn.

Good luck!