Forum: Ruby on Rails Re: Convince me to buy TextMate!

Ian R. (Guest)
What editor is closest to TextMate for the PC?

--------- Original Message --------
From: removed_email_address@domain.invalid
To: removed_email_address@domain.invalid <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
Subject: Re: [Rails] Convince me to buy TextMate!
Date: 17/04/06 18:30
Jón B. (Guest)
I always used UltraEdit (http://www.ultraedit.com) when I developed on
Windows. It has good Ruby support and a good thing about it is that it
has great userbase so you can easily download user created wordfiles,
macros and more. I have not tested UEStudio though.

It's a little bit more bloated now than it was in earlier version but
I found it quite usable.

On 4/17/06, Ian R. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > languages but it does neither support Ruby out of the box nor does it
> > Rails mailing list
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid

Manuel H. (Guest)
Am 17.04.2006 um 16:33 schrieb Jon Gretar B.:

>> What editor is closest to TextMate for the PC?

I guess that's a hard question since the greatest advantage of TM - I
did not mention it here yet - is that your scripts are executed in a
bash. This means you can simply use your Unix skills and easily hook
up any sed, perl, awk, grep, python, ruby - you name it - script or
command you want.

*m
Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-20 08:26
"An open letter to the morons that insist that TextMate kicks the shit
out of BBEdit Pro 8.0"

http://veraperez.com/archives/1195/

Anybody have any thoughts? Is BBEdit Pro better than TextMate?

Joe
Tom M. (Guest)
On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Joe wrote:

> "An open letter to the morons that insist that TextMate kicks the shit
> out of BBEdit Pro 8.0"
>
> http://veraperez.com/archives/1195/
>
> Anybody have any thoughts? Is BBEdit Pro better than TextMate?

I've used both, was a hardcore BBEdit user before TextMate.

I prefer TextMate. The only things I miss are:

   Process Lines Containing

Great feature. Yes, I could write a script for TextMate. :-)

--
-- Tom M.
John T. (Guest)
> On Apr 19, 2006, at 9:26 PM, Joe wrote:
>
> > "An open letter to the morons that insist that TextMate kicks the shit
> > out of BBEdit Pro 8.0"
> >
> > http://veraperez.com/archives/1195/
> >
> > Anybody have any thoughts? Is BBEdit Pro better than TextMate?

Err.. it's not called "BBEdit Pro"...
Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-20 22:45
Well, I gave TextMate a second try by "importing" a Rails project. I
have to admit I think I like it - it feels straight-forward and clean.
But the drawer screwed me up - I created a folder, then moved and/or
deleted it after importing files, then it deleted the folder on my
server. Grr. I also can't figure out how to reorder the folders so
they're alphabetical.

Oh yeah, I setup NFS - not difficult to do. But everytime I switch to
another app, then back to TextMate, Apple's "spinning beachball" spins
for many seconds before TextMate responds again. Maybe TM is stat'ing
files, or NFS' settings could be tweaked, but it's highly annoying as
is.

Joe
Jon B. (Guest)
on 2006-04-21 01:13
Joe wrote:
> Oh yeah, I setup NFS - not difficult to do. But everytime I switch to
> another app, then back to TextMate, Apple's "spinning beachball" spins
> for many seconds before TextMate responds again. Maybe TM is stat'ing
> files, or NFS' settings could be tweaked, but it's highly annoying as
> is.

http://macromates.com/wiki/Main/FAQ#drawerupdate
Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-21 03:17
Jon B. wrote:
> Joe wrote:
>> Oh yeah, I setup NFS - not difficult to do. But everytime I switch to
>> another app, then back to TextMate, Apple's "spinning beachball" spins
>> for many seconds before TextMate responds again. Maybe TM is stat'ing
>> files, or NFS' settings could be tweaked, but it's highly annoying as
>> is.
>
> http://macromates.com/wiki/Main/FAQ#drawerupdate

Thanks. But I just tried that and TM still gives me the beach ball.

Joe
Joe (Guest)
on 2006-04-26 02:07
Joe wrote:
> Jon B. wrote:
>> Joe wrote:
>>> Oh yeah, I setup NFS - not difficult to do. But everytime I switch to
>>> another app, then back to TextMate, Apple's "spinning beachball" spins
>>> for many seconds before TextMate responds again. Maybe TM is stat'ing
>>> files, or NFS' settings could be tweaked, but it's highly annoying as
>>> is.
>>
>> http://macromates.com/wiki/Main/FAQ#drawerupdate
>
> Thanks. But I just tried that and TM still gives me the beach ball.
>
> Joe

After scouring the Internet and trying a great many things - various FTP
clients, NFS, investigating other DFS's, searching for Netdrive/Fuse
-like Mac programs, etc. - I think I have found a way to make TextMate
update remote files in a way I can live with:

http://enure.net/post/article/using-rsync-to-enabl...

I removed '--delete' from rsync, so session, log, etc. files don't get
deleted, and added '--exclude=.*' so local .svn directories and
.DS_Store files don't get uploaded.

Joe
seth b. (Guest)
Do you have a good wordfile for UE to use with .rhtml files?
Jón B. (Guest)
Check out:
http://brosinski.com/stephan/2005/06/14/ruby-on-ra...

A bunch of good info on configuring UE.