Forum: Ruby on Rails Good image API for RoR?

Joe C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-15 17:46
Hi, I need a relatively simple image api for the app I'm writing.  I
need to copy photos, rename them, and re-size them to put them in a
standard format.

I tried using RMagick/Imagemagick, but the photos would be corrupted on
re-size, so I'm looking for some suggestions.
Craig W. (Guest)
On Sat, 2006-04-15 at 15:46 +0200, Joe C. wrote:
> Hi, I need a relatively simple image api for the app I'm writing.  I
> need to copy photos, rename them, and re-size them to put them in a
> standard format.
>
> I tried using RMagick/Imagemagick, but the photos would be corrupted on
> re-size, so I'm looking for some suggestions.
----
try again but only give one dimension and the other should adjust
proportionately.

Craig
Tom M. (Guest)
On Apr 15, 2006, at 6:46 AM, Joe C. wrote:

> Hi, I need a relatively simple image api for the app I'm writing.  I
> need to copy photos, rename them, and re-size them to put them in a
> standard format.
>
> I tried using RMagick/Imagemagick, but the photos would be
> corrupted on
> re-size, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

On a project I'm working on we just fixed a problem with RMagick,
resizing, and image corruption.

Solution: Get current versions of everything and recompile.

We didn't have time to completely narrow it down, but in our case it
was likely libtiff causing the problem.
Brez! !. (Guest)
on 2006-04-15 23:48
Joe C. wrote:
> Hi, I need a relatively simple image api for the app I'm writing.  I
> need to copy photos, rename them, and re-size them to put them in a
> standard format.
>
> I tried using RMagick/Imagemagick, but the photos would be corrupted on
> re-size, so I'm looking for some suggestions.

I found myself in a simular situation recently re. RMagik [I def intend
to go back and resolve it tho] - in our case tho we were preprocessing
the files [i.e. batchs of thousands of files], zipping them up and
sending to ROR. Since the preprocessing was external I used the python
PIL library:

http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/

Anyhow an option..
Brez! !. (Guest)
on 2006-04-15 23:50
 I used the python
> PIL library:
>
> http://www.pythonware.com/products/pil/
>
> Anyhow an option..

If you go with it and are doing resizing, make sure to read up on the
'Image.ANTIALIAS' - otherwise things are distorted..
David D. (Guest)
I'm working on something similar and I'm using MiniMagick. That library
is
also dependent on ImageMagick, but it uses the command-line mogrify tool
rather than a direct Ruby interface to 'Magick, which uses way, way less
memory.

Of course, if the problem you're experiencing is with ImageMagick and
not
RMagick, then this will be six of one/half dozen of another. I might
suggest
trying MiniMagick (which is a quick and easy thing to drop into one's
plugins folder) just to isolate the problem.

- DD

On 4/15/06, Joe C. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

David D.
Owner and Web Chef, Practicalmadness
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Joe C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-16 01:52
Thanks a ton everyone.... there is enough here to get me on the right
road!  One of the things I'm loving about getting into Ruby is the
outstanding community around it.

Once again thanks!