Forum: Ruby Google Summer of Code -- It's back

Patrick H. (Guest)
http://code.google.com/soc/

I was wondering if there is anything equivalent to the Python Software
Foundation (http://www.python.org/psf/), that would be the nominal
sponsor for one or more students and people from the mailing list
could volunteer to mentor students interested in doing ruby based
projects. I have not been a (qualifying) student for a long time;
however, I would be more than willing to assist as a mentor.

pth
unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, Patrick H. wrote:

> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> I was wondering if there is anything equivalent to the Python Software
> Foundation (http://www.python.org/psf/), that would be the nominal
> sponsor for one or more students and people from the mailing list
> could volunteer to mentor students interested in doing ruby based
> projects. I have not been a (qualifying) student for a long time;
> however, I would be more than willing to assist as a mentor.

There's Ruby Central (http://www.rubycentral.org).  We didn't make it
in last year (the timing of the announcement and the deadline was very
tight...), but I'll follow up on this and hopefully we can do it this
year.

David

"Ruby for Rails" coming in PDF April 15, and in paper May 5!
http://www.manning.com/black
pat eyler (Guest)
> http://code.google.com/soc/
>
> I was wondering if there is anything equivalent to the Python Software
> Foundation (http://www.python.org/psf/), that would be the nominal
> sponsor for one or more students and people from the mailing list
> could volunteer to mentor students interested in doing ruby based
> projects. I have not been a (qualifying) student for a long time;
> however, I would be more than willing to assist as a mentor.

Ruby Central (if Chad, et al. are up to it)
unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Sat, 15 Apr 2006, pat eyler wrote:

> On 4/14/06, Patrick H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> http://code.google.com/soc/
>>
>> I was wondering if there is anything equivalent to the Python Software
>> Foundation (http://www.python.org/psf/), that would be the nominal
>> sponsor for one or more students and people from the mailing list
>> could volunteer to mentor students interested in doing ruby based
>> projects. I have not been a (qualifying) student for a long time;
>> however, I would be more than willing to assist as a mentor.
>

> Ruby Central (if Chad, et al. are up to it)

I've just emailed Google expressing our interest.  Assuming they
accept us, we'll be looking for mentors, so stay tuned.

David

"Ruby for Rails" coming in PDF April 15, and in paper May 5!
http://www.manning.com/black
Peter S. (Guest)
> I've just emailed Google expressing our interest.  Assuming they
> accept us, we'll be looking for mentors, so stay tuned.
Coool, but don't forget about students (i.e. people eligible to
participate) on this ML (btw how many of us are here?) - if there will
be some interesting Ruby/RoR tasks i would definitely like to take one!
Please keep us updated, send as many info as possible here! Thanks.

Cheers,
Peter
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 4/14/06, Peter S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
> > I've just emailed Google expressing our interest.  Assuming they
> > accept us, we'll be looking for mentors, so stay tuned.
> Coool, but don't forget about students (i.e. people eligible to
> participate) on this ML (btw how many of us are here?)

hmm... would I be considered a student or a mentor? :)

Maybe I can mentor myself?
|MKSM| (Guest)
That is indeed interesting. I hope Ruby manages to be part of it. I
will certainly be there to dispute a student position :)

Regards,

Ricardo Amorim
Xan (Guest)
on 2006-04-16 21:57
Peter S. wrote:
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
>> I've just emailed Google expressing our interest.  Assuming they
>> accept us, we'll be looking for mentors, so stay tuned.
> Coool, but don't forget about students (i.e. people eligible to
> participate) on this ML (btw how many of us are here?) - if there will
> be some interesting Ruby/RoR tasks i would definitely like to take one!
> Please keep us updated, send as many info as possible here! Thanks.
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Why not create a page in rubycentral for register possibly mentors and
students and the points of interest?. It's just a suggestion

Xan.
Peter S. (Guest)
Xan wrote:
>> Peter
>
> Why not create a page in rubycentral for register possibly mentors and
> students and the points of interest?. It's just a suggestion
Good idea! Count me in ;-) Btw we (i.e. Ruby/RoR) are still not there,
while Python appeared a few days ago already...

Cheers,
Peter
unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, Peter S. wrote:

>>> Cheers,
>>> Peter
>>
>> Why not create a page in rubycentral for register possibly mentors and
>> students and the points of interest?. It's just a suggestion
> Good idea! Count me in ;-) Btw we (i.e. Ruby/RoR) are still not there,
> while Python appeared a few days ago already...

I'm in touch with the people organizing it; they have said that they
will put Ruby Central in and that they are looking forward to working
with us.  So don't worry :-)

I'll keep everyone posted as it progresses.

David

"Ruby for Rails" PDF now on sale!  http://www.manning.com/black
Paper version coming in early May!
Nicolas K. (Guest)
Peter S. wrote:

>Please keep us updated, send as many info as possible here! Thanks.
>
>Cheers,
>Peter

I'm eligible and would be interested on doing something for Ruby. It
would be great to get some ideas from the  community. What is really
needed currently ?
unknown (Guest)
Hi --

On Mon, 17 Apr 2006, removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:

> I'm in touch with the people organizing it; they have said that they
> will put Ruby Central in and that they are looking forward to working
> with us.  So don't worry :-)
>
> I'll keep everyone posted as it progresses.

We're now listed, and after I finish my current travels (I'm flying
home from Canada this afternoon) I'll be posting some information on
Ruby Central's website, looking for mentors and ideas for projects.

(But by all means keep chatting here, and I'll harvest stuff from the
list :-)

David

"Ruby for Rails" PDF now on sale!  http://www.manning.com/black
Paper version coming in early May!
Austin Z. (Guest)
> I'm eligible and would be interested on doing something for Ruby. It
> would be great to get some ideas from the  community. What is really
> needed currently ?

Ruby.NET would be nice ;) But I think that's being worked on already,
sort of.

I have a couple of projects that I'm trying to get done through a TRUG
hackathon, but I'm not quite sure what level of complexity is being
looked for in the Summer of Code.

-austin
Patrick Chanezon (Guest)
Excellent, last week I have added rubycentral and yourself as the
contact in
the list of mentoring organization, in order to avoid the problem you
had
last year.

P@
Gyoung-Yoon N. (Guest)
Just an idea, "Ruby Language Specification 2.0"?
I remember matz had mentioned he can willingly help writing before.
Peter S. (Guest)
> I have a couple of projects that I'm trying to get done through a TRUG
> hackathon, but I'm not quite sure what level of complexity is being
> looked for in the Summer of Code.
Well, to get some idea, here are the Google SOC 2005 Perl stuff:

http://www.perlfoundation.org/gc/grants/2005-googlesoc.html

and for python, this is even nicer since it has the outcome of the
accepted projects:

http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2005

similarly you can look up other accepted projects as well.

btw a nice kind-of-howto page about SOC 2005:

http://summer.cs.pdx.edu/?q=node/12

Cheers,
Peter
Gregory S. (Guest)
On Tue, Apr 18, 2006 at 12:34:49AM +0900, Nicolas K. wrote:
[...]
} I'm eligible and would be interested on doing something for Ruby. It
} would be great to get some ideas from the  community. What is really
} needed currently ?

Well, I have a couple of Rails (ActiveRecord, actually) pet peeves that
could be fixed. One is maintaining various data integrity constraints
(e.g.
FOREIGN KEY constraints, UNIQUE constraints, etc.) in migrations.
Another
is an ActiveRecord drop-in replacement that uses stored procedures with
particular naming scheme for CRUD actions. Extra points for
auto-generating
the stored procedures based on the table structure.

} Nicolas K.
--Greg
blackcat (Guest)
I have submitted to Google.
In case they do not accept us,
here is what we want to mentor.
Most ( if not all of this would be written in Ruby )

I would like to apply on behalf of Cinternational to be a
mentor for the Summer of Code 2006.

Cinternational would like to sponsor open source code
in following area :  Virtual test instruments.

the project name would be MultiAnalyser
some work on this has been done at
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MultiAnalyser/

this project is a combination of hardware and software.
( all open source )

The mentors at this point would be Gus S. Calabrese, Gary (Rod )
Rodriguez and Bill Goodrich.  I am certain I could get more mentors
from developers I know on the PIClist.

the software projects would be:
1]  Development of FPGA code to collect analog data at high speed
and relay back to Host via USB 2.0.
2]  Development of FPGA code to collect analog data at high speed
and relay back to Host via PCI express.
3]  Development of multi-platform framework ( Linux, OS X, Windows )
to support a variety of virtual instruments.
4]  Development of a virtual DSO   ( digital storage oscilloscope )
multi-platform
5]  Development of a virtual LA   ( Logic Analyzer ) multi-platform
6]  Development of a virtual Datascope  ( serial communications
analysis )
7]  Development of a virtual DMM  ( digital multimeter )
8]  Projects the student may submit in the virtual instrument area

Regards

Gus S. Calabrese
http://omegadogs.com    <-------  home of our development efforts
http://RADMI.com  <--------- home of our non-profit effort
http://Cinternational.com  <---------    name of company that handles
finances
Jake McArthur (Guest)
I'm also eligible, and this is right up my ally. Would love to get
involved. I'm very intently keeping up with this thread for neat
ideas, so any others would be appreciated.

- Jake McArthur
Tanner B. (Guest)
On 4/17/06, Jake McArthur <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I'm also eligible, and this is right up my ally. Would love to get
> involved. I'm very intently keeping up with this thread for neat
> ideas, so any others would be appreciated.

+1

- Jake McArthur
Patrick H. (Guest)
On 4/17/06, Tanner B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> --
> ===Tanner B.===
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid
> http://tannerburson.com   <---Might even work one day...

1. Rdoc/Ri integration (may require basically rewriting ri)

2. A ruby code browser, including heuristic linking of method calls to
definitions (best guess, list of possibilities, etc)

3. Specialized CMS (content management systems) for schools, clubs,
etc (calendaring, events, forms, contacts, etc)

4. A complete ruby parser in ruby (there is a fair amount of activity
being done here already, but nothing to the best of my knowledge is
complete)

5. A set of ruby refactoring tools (as ruby scripts) -- these would
not be 100% safe as there are things a programmer could do to break
any static analysis, but they could be "good enough":
   A. Rename a class (and all references to it)
   B. Rename a member variable (and all references to it)
   C. Rename a module
   D. Rename a method
   E. Move class to/from a Module
   F. Move class into/out of a different class
   G. etc...

6. A rails project visualizer -- should generate printable (pdf?) and
browse-able documentation of the model/view/controller, data flows,
schema, test coverage, etc.

7. A project modeled on oswd.org, but providing rails templates
(application.rhtml, css and possibly helpers). I think this would be
really popular -- especially if the free templates in oswd were
"borrowed". -- A smart rails command that could pull in the templates
would make it even more appealing.

A few ideas, hope they help
pth
James G. (Guest)
On Apr 18, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Patrick H. wrote:

> 3. Specialized CMS (content management systems) for schools, clubs,
> etc (calendaring, events, forms, contacts, etc)

I really like this idea.

James Edward G. II
Peter S. (Guest)
Patrick H. wrote:

> definitions (best guess, list of possibilities, etc)
> any static analysis, but they could be "good enough":
> schema, test coverage, etc.
>
> 7. A project modeled on oswd.org, but providing rails templates
> (application.rhtml, css and possibly helpers). I think this would be
> really popular -- especially if the free templates in oswd were
> "borrowed". -- A smart rails command that could pull in the templates
> would make it even more appealing.
Cool ideas... I like mainly 3)
These are just ideas or you are offering some kind of mentoring also?

Peter
Jeff R. (Guest)
Patrick H. wrote:
> On 4/17/06, Tanner B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> On 4/17/06, Jake McArthur <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>>> I'm also eligible, and this is right up my ally. Would love to get
>>> involved. I'm very intently keeping up with this thread for neat
>>> ideas, so any others would be appreciated.

I'm in as well.  I'll be applying as a student and I'm willing to do
pretty much anything, but here are some ideas I had (in order of my
enthusiasm :-):

1) An asynchronous networking framework for ruby.  Something ala ACE or
Twisted, but in ruby with dynamic programming & closures it can be made
so much more beautiful!  I think with an easy to use framework we could
see an explosion of nifty p2p & other networking utilities and apps come
out of the ruby community.  This type of project would help beef up
non-blocking IO support in ruby, and provide a starting point for
creating networked apps.  It could follow the lead of rails in using
standard application layouts, generators etc. so people could quickly
jump and in turn out new clients, servers, protocols, whatever.  Lots of
existing libraries can be used directly or poached for code, but making
an integrated system would help a lot.  Maybe a good idea to choose a
specific application to guide the development?

2) Working on a more integrated documentation system would probably be
very useful.  It could provide an interface to the documentation so code
completing editors (vim7, yes!) could query for information about
classes, methods etc, and it could allow for easier queries (e.g.
regexps, tab completion...) in an interactive documention browser.
Maybe something akin to the built-in help for python...  Another thing I
was thinking could be cool is programmable comments for dynamic code.  I
think Rdoc has a little support for declaring generators like
attr_accessor, but that could be extended so people could program their
documentation.  When using generated methods or method_missing it would
be great if you could have a documentation_missing method as well...

I don't think it would be my choice, but I was thinking of a variation
on the CMS described before.  A digital secretary organizer thingy, with
a focus on making life easier to deal with rather than the same old web
based lists and calendars.  So you have a data-store that holds say
calendar events and contacts for starters.  Sure, throw a rails
interface on top of the DB, but I want to be able to call it and leave
it messages from my cell-phone, IM & email with it, and access it with
an API so programs can use it as a central store.  It should be
pluggable so people can add new interfaces, event handlers (desktop
reminders, IM, email, phone, sms, glowing orbs, mp3, aibo dog)
whatever...  As long as its clean and easily extended people will go
nuts.  Lots of grunt work with a project like this though.  Implementing
and/or debugging a ton of RFC based libraries for various formats of
import, export, communication etc...

But yeah, how about that number 1?

-Jeff
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 4/18/06, James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> On Apr 18, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Patrick H. wrote:
>
> > 3. Specialized CMS (content management systems) for schools, clubs,
> > etc (calendaring, events, forms, contacts, etc)
>
> I really like this idea.

+1
Patrick H. (Guest)
On 4/18/06, Peter S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > 2. A ruby code browser, including heuristic linking of method calls to
> > not be 100% safe as there are things a programmer could do to break
> > browse-able documentation of the model/view/controller, data flows,
> Peter

I just signed up to be a mentor with Ruby Central as the organization.

pth
Jake McArthur (Guest)
> [...] ideas [...]

I was struck with an idea yesterday that could theoretically be
really nice for Ruby developers. I'm sure most of us are aware of the
idea of keeping code DRY (Don't Repeat Yourself), and I think most
people that know about it don't have too much of a problem with
following it. Another idea that programmers follow, not as well, is
to not reinvent the wheel, which for the sake of the rest of this e-
mail I will refer to as DROP (Don't Repeat Other People).

My idea is to create an open source code repository, web site, and
set of tools designed to help people to automate the process of
factoring code out of their projects which they can all share. First,
it helps them to find instances of code that need to be DRYed or
DROPed by comparing lines of code across the entire code base in the
repository and pointing out lines that are similar to things that
have already been done before. If the programmer finds things within
his program which he repeated, then it should be a simple a matter of
factoring out to another function or class within his code to DRY it.
If he finds that somebody else has similar code, he can factor it out
into a separate "project" in the repository to DROP it. People with
similar code in the repository are notified so that they can update
their individual projects accordingly if they desire to do so.

Using code that has been factored out into these external projects
should be both easy to integrate and easy to keep up to date in each
project. Though I'm not quite sure of the mechanics of how that would
be done yet, I'm envisioning a script programmers can run that will
bring all functions and classes they are using from external projects
up to date in their own program. As it does this, it runs all the
programmer's tests to make sure that it doesn't break something and
pulls back to a previous revision if necessary. (As such, it would
practically be a requirement that all code that takes advantage of
this be unit tested.) This would also provide the benefit that
factored out projects can be edited by anyone, like a wiki, without
screwing everything up; any time something gets messed up or is
incompatible with some projects, somebody will see when they try to
update and can fix it themselves.

The web site would show the projects in the repository, provide a
method of discussion around the various bits of code, and give
downloads and instructions for using the resource for yourself.

My hope is that this would be a tool that could speed up development,
simplify and stabilize Ruby programs, and bring a collaborative
atmosphere even to individual projects.

- Jake McArthur
Jake McArthur (Guest)
BTW, I don't think I want this posted on the ideas page. I'm going to
be applying with this one probably! :)
Peter S. (Guest)
Jake McArthur wrote:
> My idea is to create an open source code repository, web site, and set
> repository are notified so that they can update their individual
> requirement that all code that takes advantage of this be unit tested.)
> simplify and stabilize Ruby programs, and bring a collaborative
> atmosphere even to individual projects.
Hello Jake,

Wow what a great idea. BTW. do you know the online python-cookbook?

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/

It is a small subset of the possible results of the implementation of
the idea you describe here, of course your idea is much-much more than
this, since python cookbook is just a set of manually added code
snippets.

If you decide to implement DROP, be sure to put up a page/wiki/mailing
list something so we can track your progress and send some ideas (if you
don't mind ;-)

Cheers,
Peter
Phil H. (Guest)
"Patrick H." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:
> On 4/17/06, Tanner B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> 6. A rails project visualizer -- should generate printable (pdf?) and
> browse-able documentation of the model/view/controller, data flows,
> schema, test coverage, etc.

You mean like RAV?

http://rav.rubyforge.org

Not to say that it's perfect and couldn't use more work, but I don't
think it would keep someone busy for a whole summer. Then again,
perhaps I just don't have enough imagination. =D

-Phil
Patrick H. (Guest)
On 4/18/06, Phil H. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Not to say that it's perfect and couldn't use more work, but I don't
> think it would keep someone busy for a whole summer. Then again,
> perhaps I just don't have enough imagination. =D
>
> -Phil

Yeah exactly like that :-),

Thanks
pth
Nicolas K. (Guest)
On 4/18/06, James Edward G. II <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2006, at 7:28 AM, Patrick H. wrote:
>
> > 3. Specialized CMS (content management systems) for schools, clubs,
> > etc (calendaring, events, forms, contacts, etc)
>
> I really like this idea.
>
> James Edward G. II

I really like this idea. I have been thinking of a similar project for a
long time. Mainly I was imagining a replacement for the current school
Course management systems. The current one I used: WebCT, BlackBoard and
Lon-capa, are ill fitted for K12 schools. And for they are not much
better
for colleges. I will probably use this idea in one of my attempts.

Nic
Kirk H. (Guest)
On Tuesday 18 April 2006 9:19 am, Jake McArthur wrote:

> My idea is to create an open source code repository, web site, and
> set of tools designed to help people to automate the process of
> factoring code out of their projects which they can all share. First,

You might take a look at Facets:  facets.rubyforge.org

Kirk H.
Jake McArthur (Guest)
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 9:19 am, Jake McArthur wrote:
>
>> My idea is to create an open source code repository, web site, and
>> set of tools designed to help people to automate the process of
>> factoring code out of their projects which they can all share. First,
>
> You might take a look at Facets:  facets.rubyforge.org

Facets is more of a general library. My proposal works even for the
most specific of tasks so long as two or more people end up trying to
implement them.

- Jake McArthur
Jake McArthur (Guest)
On Apr 18, 2006, at 10:53 AM, Peter S. wrote:

> Hello Jake,
>
> Wow what a great idea.

Thanks.

> BTW. do you know the online python-cookbook?
>
> http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Python/Cookbook/

I've heard of it, but I'm not a big Python guy, so I haven't ever
really had much reason to browse through it or use it. I mainly only
use Ruby and C, not for lack of understanding other languages, but
just because they are the only ones that actually achieve their goals
as far as I am concerned.

> It is a small subset of the possible results of the implementation of
> the idea you describe here, of course your idea is much-much more than
> this, since python cookbook is just a set of manually added code
> snippets.

Yeah. I have known of "cookbooks," but they are really only useful if
somebody just so happens to think that something they made would be
useful to other people. Like you said, this is different. It works
for things that people are actually using and continues to improve
the entire code base over time.

> If you decide to implement DROP, be sure to put up a page/wiki/mailing
> list something so we can track your progress and send some ideas
> (if you
> don't mind ;-)

Gladly. I will definitely be applying with it, so if any of the
mentors here want to be my mentor, that would be the guarantee that
it will happen soon. </hint hint wink wink> If it's not accepted, it
will have to just go into my increasingly long queue of projects to
do (meaning it will take forever, possibly years, just to start... by
then I may forget).

- Jake McArthur
Gregory B. (Guest)
On 4/18/06, Nicolas K. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> I really like this idea. I have been thinking of a similar project for a
> long time. Mainly I was imagining a replacement for the current school
> Course management systems. The current one I used: WebCT, BlackBoard and
> Lon-capa, are ill fitted for K12 schools. And for they are not much better
> for colleges. I will probably use this idea in one of my attempts.

Our university uses BlackBoard.  It's a mess.
Roy S. (Guest)
> We're now listed, and after I finish my current travels (I'm flying
> home from Canada this afternoon) I'll be posting some information on
> Ruby Central's website, looking for mentors and ideas for projects.
>
> (But by all means keep chatting here, and I'll harvest stuff from the
> list :-)
As I understand it, projects neither have to be from scratch nor
original ideas.  Given this, I'd suggest people peruse RubyForge for
projects that were started and never finished or are unreleased.  In
some cases, a helping hand to complete a useful tool, in others, a
rewrite/new project.  Also, recurring ideas keep popping up on this list
when new people join:  'Do you have something equivalent to [language
x]'s [library]?'

I'd love to see someone throw in a helping hand making wxRuby2's
interface more Ruby-like.  I'd also like to see a cross-platform RAD
tool in Ruby (a la Delphi).

Roy
Kirk H. (Guest)
On Tuesday 18 April 2006 4:10 pm, Gregory B. wrote:

> Our university uses BlackBoard.  It's a mess.

Take a look at Moodle.  It is implemented in PHP, but is a pretty decent
piece
of software, and one could do well to learn from their experience
building
that product.

Kirk H.
Nicolas K. (Guest)
Kirk H. wrote:

>that product.
>

>Kirk H.

Good idea. I hear of moodle but never actually had a chance to use it in
school. I'll take a good look at it before undertaking this project.

Nic
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
I'll second Moodle ... only problem with it is that it's written in PHP,
not Ruby/Rails. :)

It's a piece of cake to get up and running. In fact, if you're willing
to wait a couple of days, I'll have a VMWare virtual machine with a
complete Gentoo Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP/Moodle stack up on my web site.
It's queued up behind a similar virtual machine with a Rails stack. :)

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com
pat eyler (Guest)
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid wrote:
> > We're now listed, and after I finish my current travels (I'm flying
> > home from Canada this afternoon) I'll be posting some information on
> > Ruby Central's website, looking for mentors and ideas for projects.
> >
> > (But by all means keep chatting here, and I'll harvest stuff from the
> > list :-)
> As I understand it, projects neither have to be from scratch nor
> original ideas.  Given this, I'd suggest people peruse RubyForge for
> projects that were started and never finished or are unreleased.

Maybe someone would like to pick up rwb.  I'm happy to provide help,
pointers, cheerleading, etc.

[deleted]

--
thanks,
-pate
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> I'll second Moodle ... only problem with it is that it's written in
> PHP, not Ruby/Rails. :)
>
> It's a piece of cake to get up and running. In fact, if you're willing
> to wait a couple of days, I'll have a VMWare virtual machine with a
> complete Gentoo Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP/Moodle stack up on my web site.
> It's queued up behind a similar virtual machine with a Rails stack. :)

So, would there be an advantage to having a Rails CMS? I was also
thinking about developing a testing module for this CMS. One thing I've
noticed is that most of the current systems out there have poor  testing
modules. I envisioned something similar to Lon-capa and Webwork to very
popular systems with Physics and Math professors.

Nic
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky (Guest)
I don't know that there would be any advantage to a course management
system other than Moodle at this point. I have two web sites running it
and I'd hate to see a bunch of Ruby/Rails developers reinventing Moodle
just for the joy of it. It's a package, it does exactly what I need and
I don't much care about the internals. I don't even know PHP and barely
know how to configure Apache and MySQL. It's that easy to set up. :)

I'd rather see Rails effort go into new application areas. Basecamp is a
perfect example. There's nothing else like it that I've found written in
any technology.

--

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> written in any technology.
>
> Nicolas K. wrote:

Thanks for the input. I'll keep thinking.

Nic
Gerardo S. Gómez Garrido (Guest)
2006/4/18, pat eyler <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
> > projects that were started and never finished or are unreleased.
>
> Maybe someone would like to pick up rwb.  I'm happy to provide help,
> pointers, cheerleading, etc.

ruSH seemed nice too
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=ruby-talk&m=112802...
http://rubyforge.org/projects/rush
Alexander Kahl (Guest)
How about a specialized school CMS? School sites require other
features than club sites :) Maybe a list of timetable changes,
information about exams, consortium and event sites.
Jeff R. (Guest)
Huh.  I don't know if you guys are actually using moodle or just
administering it, but as someone who uses it a ton I can tell you I
would love a replacement.  It's pretty much horrible to use as a
teaching assistant.  When posting an assignment I have to make about 15
clicks, copy and paste a url, upload a "resource", blah, blah, blah.
The grading interface makes it incredibly easy to loose a whole class
worth of grades, the comments for each graded assignment are only about
50 chars long, it's difficult to find things that should be simple...  I
could go on for a while, and so could every other assistant in my
department.  Please write a better moodle!

Beyond me being incredibly annoyed at moodle almost daily, I don't think
the fact that something exists should ever be much of a deterrent.  How
many search engines were "working just fine" before google came around?
   How many programming languages already let you do the same things
that you can do in ruby?  It's all about learning from what others have
done and doing it better, isn't it?  I guess there might be diminishing
returns if you are re-implementing something huge for minimal
improvement, but I can bet that won't be the case with moodle.

-Jeff

P.S.  If you need user input I've got 20 colleagues who would love to
vent, er, help moodle on rails :-)
Nicolai R. (Guest)

> > 3. Specialized CMS (content management systems) for schools, clubs,
> > etc (calendaring, events, forms, contacts, etc)

How about some sort of 'Ruby/Rails/Whatever User Group Organizer'?

<http://codeblogger.de/>
Austin Z. (Guest)
On 4/19/06, Codeblogger <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> > > 3. Specialized CMS (content management systems) for schools, clubs,
> > > etc (calendaring, events, forms, contacts, etc)
> How about some sort of 'Ruby/Rails/Whatever User Group Organizer'?

http://www.rubyholic.com/

-austin
Nicolas K. (Guest)
Some more Idea I had for which I would like some comments:

An mail module (thanks to who ever mentioned the need for this) that
would extend the current mailread module:
    This module would include some features inspired by the Python email
library
    some tools to search sort and filter mail
    Anything else I should think off ?

A search engine for site build on rails;
    Google is great but some local search engine could be cool.

A mail package built on rails.

Thanks for you help everyone.

Nic