Forum: GNU Radio Example programs and alsa

paul munro (Guest)
Hi, I have just installed gnu radio and tried the example programs in
the
examples directory. There is an issue with alsa. The last few lines look
like this:

  File "./am_rcv.py", line 41, in __init__
    audio_sink = audio.sink (int (audio_rate))
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gnuradio/audio_alsa.py",
line
222, in sink
    return _audio_alsa.sink(*args)
RuntimeError: audio_alsa_sink

I am guessing there is an issue with the sound card setup. The programs
that
don't use the sound card work fine. I haven't installed portaudio due to
dependency issues that I am yet to sort out. Is this an issue? All the
other
packages installed without error.

Any help/advice would be great
Thanks
Paul

On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 03:11:46AM +0000, paul munro wrote:

> I am guessing there is an issue with the sound card setup. The programs
> that don't use the sound card work fine. I haven't installed portaudio due
> to dependency issues that I am yet to sort out. Is this an issue?

ALSA currently works much better under GNU/Linux than portaudio.

> All the other packages installed without error.

Have you tried running the examples in gnuradio-examples/python/audio ?

Can anything talk to your sound card?  E.g., does KDE make sounds when
starting up?

Eric