Forum: Ruby on Rails AWS and Rails connection?

Jesse (FlashHater) (Guest)
on 2006-04-14 04:36
hi all,
I'm looking for someone framiliar with the rails (and AWS) codebase to
explain to me how exactly AWS connects to Rails. I'm asking because I
want to hook in AWS to Camping
(http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/camping)
Thanks in advance!
--Jesse
leon breedt (Guest)
On 4/14/06, Jesse (FlashHater) <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> hi all,
> I'm looking for someone framiliar with the rails (and AWS) codebase to
> explain to me how exactly AWS connects to Rails. I'm asking because I
> want to hook in AWS to Camping
> (http://code.whytheluckystiff.net/camping)
> Thanks in advance!
> --Jesse
Hi Jesse,

To bring it into Camping, you'd probably need to do the requires of
needed .rb files in lib/action_web_service/* manually, instead of
requiring the top-level action_web_service.rb:

AWS has a dependency on Active Support (for the methods that assist in
saving/storing things into the singleton class).

The top level file also mixes ActionWebService::Dispatcher::* into
Action Pack's ActionController::Base (and some others, but they are
mostly related to supporting annotations).

Dispatcher::ActionController is probably what you'd be most interested
in.

Dispatcher::ActionController adds the "api" action to the controller
(this is the first port of call for incoming web service requests, its
how an incoming XML message gets unwrapped into a method call on a
controller or an external service object).

So for Camping, I'm guessing you'd provide an equivalent to
Dispatcher::ActionController that would pick up inbound XML messages
in whichever way Camping handles requests, and then does largely the
same thing as Dispatcher::ActionController#dispatch_web_service_request.

Hope this helps

Leon