Forum: Ruby on Rails ActiveSchema?

Mike A. (Guest)
I aplaude all the work that's been done on RoR, but I'm a bit confused
as to
why ActiveRecord has the capability to easily create tables, but does
not
provide a mechanism to do this automatically.  I found some information
about
ActiveSchema, but it's listed as being in the planning stage.

One key point to using Ruby is the ability to prototype rapidly, and not
having
to fuss with database details would greatly enhance the prototyping
stage of
development.  Am I missing something?  Is RoR targeted more towards
legacy
databases maybe?

Thanks much!
Mike
Alex Y. (Guest)
Mike A. wrote:
> I aplaude all the work that's been done on RoR, but I'm a bit confused
> as to why ActiveRecord has the capability to easily create tables, but
> does not provide a mechanism to do this automatically.  I found some
> information about ActiveSchema, but it's listed as being in the planning
> stage.
>
> One key point to using Ruby is the ability to prototype rapidly, and not
> having to fuss with database details would greatly enhance the
> prototyping stage of development.  Am I missing something?  Is RoR
> targeted more towards legacy databases maybe?
Au contraire...  Check out Migrations.  They may not be quite as
fully-automated as you're thinking, but they do take a lot of the SQL
drudgery out of schema definition.