Forum: Ruby on Rails Code Igniter

John T. (Guest)
Hi all,

I was just made aware of this:

<http://www.codeigniter.com>

I wonder where the inspiration comes from? Lots of very similar
concepts there ;)

I've only watched the intro movie so far, but very interesting.

jt
Michael T. (Guest)
Interesting. Rails is still at least 25% better. I recall DHH's blog
only taking 15 minutes.  I will consent that they have us beat with
the great porno intro music.  I was already sporting a woody--even
before I saw the code. :)

Michael
Peter De Berdt (Guest)
On 13 Apr 2006, at 17:34, John T. wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was just made aware of this:
>
> <http://www.codeigniter.com>
>
> I wonder where the inspiration comes from? Lots of very similar
> concepts there ;)
>
> I've only watched the intro movie so far, but very interesting.

Yeah, well, your local supermarket probably also has its own great
brand of coke, if you know what I mean ;-)

But hey, at least he's also using TextMate (and Camino, instead of
Safari for those wondering) on a Mac, great to see PHP programmers at
least getting some notion of what's good. Next thing you know they'll
be using Rails instead of trying to perform some plastic surgery on
an ugly language to make it beautiful :-)

Best regards

Peter De Berdt
Tom M. (Guest)
Hey, that's amazing!

It's *exactly* like Rails, without the elegance.

In Rails you write code. In CodeIgniter, you write
code to tell CodeIgniter what type of code you're
about to write. :-)

But, I must admit, compared to most of the PHP I've
seen "in the wild", it's a big improvement.

--
-- Tom M.
John T. (Guest)
> Hey, that's amazing!
>
> It's *exactly* like Rails, without the elegance.

That's exactly what I was thinking!

Michael T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote
> I will consent that they have us beat with
>the great porno intro music.  I was already sporting a woody--even
>before I saw the code. :)

Bow-chicka-bow-wow :)
Colin (Guest)
on 2006-04-13 21:39
Why ?! I already knew about cakephp and phpontrax. Now it seems there is
a third framework joining the mess.

It honestly is beyond me why those three largely similar frameworks
aren't working together. Cake has the best documentation. phpontrax
seems to be a bit cleaner (but NO doc) and codeignite.. well.. what i
make of it is that it is too verbose compared wtih its php based
competitors, but it has nice addons.

I don't feel any hatred towards php. I like rails and ruby. But often i
need to use php, if for nothing else than "when truck hits progammer"..
Yes.. too few people know ruby.. I would like to see a mature "rails
inspired framework" for php ;)
Alex Y. (Guest)
Michael T. wrote:
> Interesting. Rails is still at least 25% better.
That depends on your point of view.  If the parameters you have to work
with are a bottom-dollar PHP-only host and a cheap client, then
codeigniter is approximately <Infinity>% better, because Rails *doesn't
fit*.

Codeigniter trades one of Rails' weaknesses (hosting ease and ubiquity)
against linguistic elegance and flexibility.  That's a fair trade-off,
in my book, given that they've borrowed a load of ideas from Rails that
are *objectively* good.

At least, that's the impression I got after a brief perusal a little
while ago.  I'll definitely be looking into it if I ever have to use PHP
again.
Michael T. (Guest)
Alex,

I know you're trying to make a point, and it's a valid one.  My
comments were all tongue in cheek and indulging in levity.

Michael
Alex Y. (Guest)
Michael T. wrote:
> I know you're trying to make a point, and it's a valid one.  My
> comments were all tongue in cheek and indulging in levity.
Sorry...  My sense of humour is in storage :-)
Michael T. (Guest)
Stop programming in PHP, and that's change. :)
Adam (Guest)
on 2006-04-14 05:47
I watched the 20 minute movie. Nothing about it seemed easy. Maybe
easier than starting a PHP app from scratch but still not elegant. Above
anything else this shows that you can't have rails without the power of
Ruby, no matter how hard you try in another language.