Forum: Ruby on Rails Creating 2nd rails app on Dreamhost?

Jeff C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-13 05:33
My hosting provider is Dreamhost, and for some reason can't figure out
something that should not be that hard to do.  Being a linux newbie
isn't helping me much either :-)

On Dreamhost, each domain gets its own subdirectory.  To setup my web
app for each domain, I just go to the parent directory of that domain in
a telnet session, and type "rails mydomain.com", and it all works out.

Now, I want to add another web app, but I don't have the new domain
transferred yet (and I won't for a while).  I want to be able to access
the app through a browser while I'm developing/testing/showing to the
client.

What's the right way to setup a new, 2nd rails app on an existing
domain, and yet keep it separate from the app that already is there?
It's perfectly ok if I need to do something like
mydomain.com/anotherapp/ to see it in a browser.

Eventually when we go "live" we'll change over the DNS entries, and at
that point I can put the 2nd app in its own directory.

Any other Dreamhosters tried this before?

And any gotchas about the routes.rb I should know about, etc.?

Thanks a lot!
Jeff
Richard L. (Guest)
Jeff C. wrote:
  > On Dreamhost, each domain gets its own subdirectory.  To setup my
web
> app for each domain, I just go to the parent directory of that domain in
> a telnet session, and type "rails mydomain.com", and it all works out.

> What's the right way to setup a new, 2nd rails app on an existing
> domain, and yet keep it separate from the app that already is there?
> It's perfectly ok if I need to do something like
> mydomain.com/anotherapp/ to see it in a browser.

Easiest way is probably to setup a subdomain on your current domain and
then deploy to there as normal.

Dreamhost will setup a folder for the subdomain just like it does for
the main domain, so there are no real gotchas that I know of.

When your other domain comes live, just transfer it to there and all
should be fine.

hth

--
R.Livsey
http://livsey.org

By the way, you setup your domain in Manage Domains section.

Rizwan
Jeff C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-13 07:48

Rizan Reza wrote:
> And I believe if you setup in an existing directory as '
> mydomain.com/anotherapp/', it will not work since it will already have
> rails directories.

Great idea!  That solution is far simpler than I was imagining.

Thanks Richard and Rizwan.

Jeff