Forum: Ruby on Rails Link helpers and AJAX callbacks

Dipesh B. (Guest)
So after lots of efforts to understand Ruby and Rails, I am finally
scratching the surface of AJAX in Rails. So here goes another problem.

I am able to sucessfully call server side method using AJAX. Now I need
to fill this function with something useful to return back. Now I see
that only inbuilt function I can play with is "render_text". This means
it simply doesn't recognise any helper function I call from Helper
modules. Like for example I need to call "link_to" tag Helper function.
The Ruby compiler (or interpreter or whatever you call it!) just fails
to recognise such methods.

Now is there a way to call them in my server side method during an AJAX
callback?
Ed G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-13 02:52
Dipesh B. wrote:
> Hi,
> So after lots of efforts to understand Ruby and Rails, I am finally
> scratching the surface of AJAX in Rails. So here goes another problem.
>
> I am able to sucessfully call server side method using AJAX. Now I need
> to fill this function with something useful to return back. Now I see
> that only inbuilt function I can play with is "render_text". This means
> it simply doesn't recognise any helper function I call from Helper
> modules. Like for example I need to call "link_to" tag Helper function.
> The Ruby compiler (or interpreter or whatever you call it!) just fails
> to recognise such methods.
>
> Now is there a way to call them in my server side method during an AJAX
> callback?

I don't know if this will help, but...

Have you looked at:

http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/60487