Forum: Ruby on Rails rails stack on debian

Roberto S. (Guest)
I am putting a rails stack on a debian linux box. Ezra did a great job
with
his tutorial <http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html>

What I am in doubt is what is recommended / common practise to install
stuff
which is not availble yet with apt-get (eg. ruby 1.8.4, postgresql 8.1,
lighttpd).

the options I played with (=> and the conclusion):

compiling from source (get source straight  from developer site)
=> a lot of work, and even more maintenance later

using unstable packages with apt-get
=> sometimes totally messes up dependencies, in a way that I can't
install
other software anymore

using debian backports http://www.backports.org
=> great, if I find the package there

any comments / better options ?
Michael G. (Guest)
on 2006-04-12 22:38
Roberto S. wrote:
> I am putting a rails stack on a debian linux box. Ezra did a great job
> with
> his tutorial <http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html>
>
> What I am in doubt is what is recommended / common practise to install
> stuff
> which is not availble yet with apt-get (eg. ruby 1.8.4, postgresql 8.1,
> lighttpd).
>
> the options I played with (=> and the conclusion):
>
> compiling from source (get source straight  from developer site)
> => a lot of work, and even more maintenance later
>
> using unstable packages with apt-get
> => sometimes totally messes up dependencies, in a way that I can't
> install
> other software anymore
>
> using debian backports http://www.backports.org
> => great, if I find the package there
>
> any comments / better options ?

I've just recenltly had to start thinking about my deployment...

My development box is Ubuntu with ruby 1.8.4 from source, postgresql 8.1
from backports and apache from stable.

I'm planning on switching to debian with ruby 1.8.4, postgres 8.1.3,
light 1.4.11 and mongrel.

None of those packages are so fast moving that they're hard to keep up
with.

I haven't done it yet, this week end I think, so I really can't comment
much...

other than to say it was my plan.
Matthew P. (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 01:44:44PM -0300, Roberto S. wrote:
> What I am in doubt is what is recommended / common practise to install stuff
> which is not availble yet with apt-get (eg. ruby 1.8.4, postgresql 8.1,
> lighttpd).
>
> the options I played with (=> and the conclusion):

[...]

Take the packages from unstable, and backport them yourself => the
software you need, for the distribution you want, without excessive
dependency hassles.

There's a decent howto out there for doing backports; google for "Debian
Backport HOWTO" should find it (I'd find the URL for you, but I'm
offline at
present).

- Matt
Roberto S. (Guest)
Matt, thanks very much, I will google for that HOWTO.

Take the packages from unstable, and backport them yourself => the
> software you need, for the distribution you want, without excessive
> dependency hassles.
>
> There's a decent howto out there for doing backports; google for "Debian
> Backport HOWTO" should find it (I'd find the URL for you, but I'm offline
> at
> present).
>
> - Matt

Hey, how did you beam your post into the Internet, if you say that you
were
offline ?
Bakki K. (Guest)
You can also try apt-pinning when you want to mix between stable,
testing and unstable packages. Just google apt-pinning for more info.

-bakki