Forum: Ruby Installing on Solaris using sparc-sun-solaris-2.8

Fleur C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-12 17:54
I am a newbie to Solaris and Ruby.

I have downloaded the source for Ruby 1.8.4, I added CC to the
environment using "CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc" & "export CC". I have run
./configure successfully.

I then set my variables for make (as initially that was not doing
anything) using "PATH=$PATH:/usr/ccs/bin" and "export PATH". After doing
this I tried to use the make command, and received the following errors:

1. make: Warning: Illegal dependency list for target `.DEFAULT'
and far more worrying:

2.internal error: error_message(58)
*** Error code 100
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libruby-static.a'

I did find a file called "ruby" under usr/local/bin but it does not do
anything (most likely because of the fatal error) can anyone help me?
Daniel B. (Guest)
Fleur Corfield wrote:
> 1. make: Warning: Illegal dependency list for target `.DEFAULT'
> and far more worrying:
>
> 2.internal error: error_message(58)
> *** Error code 100
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libruby-static.a'
>
> I did find a file called "ruby" under usr/local/bin but it does not do
> anything (most likely because of the fatal error) can anyone help me?

Strange.  What version of gcc are you using?

If all else fails, there's a Solaris package for Ruby on blastwave.org,
though
it's built with Forte I think.

Regards,

Dan
Daniel B. (Guest)
Fleur Corfield wrote:
> 1. make: Warning: Illegal dependency list for target `.DEFAULT'
> and far more worrying:
>
> 2.internal error: error_message(58)
> *** Error code 100
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libruby-static.a'
>
> I did find a file called "ruby" under usr/local/bin but it does not do
> anything (most likely because of the fatal error) can anyone help me?

Wait a minute - are you building against the latest in CVS?  Because I'm
hitting the same issue because "isinf" isn't linked in properly.
However, if
you're building against 1.8.4 stable (release 12-24-2005), you shouldn't
hit this.

Is this what you're seeing?

gcc -Wall main.o  libruby-static.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -o miniruby -g -O2
-DRUBY_EXPORT
isinf                               libruby-static.a(marshal.o)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to miniruby
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `miniruby'

Regards,

Dan
Daniel B. (Guest)
Daniel B. wrote:

<snip>

> isinf                               libruby-static.a(marshal.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to miniruby
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> *** Error code 1
> make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `miniruby'
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

FYI, Matz, or whoever from core is listening, it appears that you need
to link
in sunmath to get this to work.

In other news, I don't see sunmath.h anywhere...

Dan
Daniel B. (Guest)
Daniel B. wrote:

>> Regards,
>>
>> Dan
>
> FYI, Matz, or whoever from core is listening, it appears that you need
> to link in sunmath to get this to work.
>
> In other news, I don't see sunmath.h anywhere...
>
> Dan

Further research indicates that sunmath.h is part of the Sun compiler
install,
i.e. under /opt/SUNWspro.  It isn't included with the usual header files
under
/usr/include.

So, you can link against -lsunmath and just ignore the implicit
declaration
warning, or you can define isinf as "!finite" from ieeefp.h on Sun.

Regards,

Dan
Fleur C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-13 13:13
Sorry - you have lost me!

I have downloaded the stable Nov 2005 version of Ruby 1.8.4
(http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=426&release_id=3332)

I have tried changing my PATH to use /usr/local/bin as that had another
copy of make (05/10/2002) in it (rather than the ccs make file -
13/09/1999!!)

I get the same error with both versions:

    egex.o  ruby.o  signal.o  sprintf.o  st.o  string.o  struct.o
time.o
    util.o  variable.o  version.o  flock.o isinf.o dmyext.o

    internal error: error_message(58)
    *** Error code 100
    make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `libruby-static.a'

Typing in: make LTFLAGS=' ' (recommended from one of the sites)
    make: Warning: Illegal dependency list for target `.DEFAULT'...
    ..eric.o  object.o  pack.o  parse.o  process.o  prec.o  random.o
range.o  re.o  regex.o  ruby.o  signal.o  sprintf.o  st.o  string.o
struct.o  time.o  util.o  variable.o  version.o  flock.o isinf.o
dmyext.o
  /usr/local/bin/gcc -g -O2  -DRUBY_EXPORT -I. -I. -c main.c
  /usr/local/bin/gcc main.o  libruby-static.a -ldl -lcrypt -lm   -o
miniruby -g -O
  2  -DRUBY_EXPORT
  ld: fatal: file miniruby: creation interrupted: No space left on
device
  collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
   *** Error code 1
  make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `miniruby'

So I think I have found the problem "ld: fatal: file miniruby: creation
interrupted: No space left on device" - now it is just how to fix it!
Fleur C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-13 13:40
DONE!!!

Moved it from the users/ folder to /usr/local where there was more room.
Just ended up with the warnings no fatal errors!

YEAH!