Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby on Rails as rapid prototyping tool

Jesper Rønn-Jensen (Guest)
[This might be slightly off-topic]
I just posted my thoughts on how we use Rails as rapid prototyping tool
in
Capgemini.
http://justaddwater.dk/2006/04/12/rails-prototyping/

Unfortunately I cannot give details as to which clients due to privacy
issues. Just want tho share my thoughts on this and hear if you have
anything to add.

--
Jesper Rønn-Jensen
Capgemini Danmark A/S

+45 23 73 62 20 (Mobile)
www.capgemini.com (Website)
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/jesper
http://justaddwater.dk/ (weblog)
Ashley M. (Guest)
On Apr 11, 2006, at 11:27 pm, Jesper Rønn-Jensen wrote:

> I just posted my thoughts on how we use Rails as rapid prototyping
> tool in Capgemini.
> http://justaddwater.dk/2006/04/12/rails-prototyping/

Jesper,

Have any of your prototypes turned into live applications?  If not,
what have you used to produce your applications and is there a reason
you didn't go with Rails?  Somewhere, perhaps in Beyond Java, I read
a line like "I've prototyped the application in Rails and got it
fully functional in 3 days.  If you like we can spend the next 3
months developing it how we originally planned."  That sums up my
impression so far!

I'm interested to hear your experience, because I've been presenting
Rails to my boss and I can tell he is coming round to the idea that
we can drop our plans for Java and use Rails for finished application
development (finance sector).

Ashley_______________________________________________
Rails mailing list
removed_email_address@domain.invalid
Greg F. (Guest)
On 4/11/06, Ashley M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> what have you used to produce your applications and is there a reason
>
> Ashley_______________________________________________

About 10 years ago a client needed something functional in 30 days but
per policy they could only use C++ code.

I told them I could not do it, but if they let me use Delphi I could.

I got them an operational system in 3 weeks.  They then assigned one
of their internal staff to redo it in C++.  Took 9 months.

Even then the users preferred my version.  Fortunately the company
allowed users to use whichever, but for policy reasons they had to
have both.

Greg
--
Greg F.
The Norcross Group
On 4/12/06, Ashley M. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Have any of your prototypes turned into live applications?  If not,
> what have you used to produce your applications and is there a reason
> you didn't go with Rails?

Two of the projects, were big offers in the public sector where we used
Rails to define the user interface. In these cases, the clients had
already
chosen technology and platform. So Rails was only used for prototyping
during the process where we wrote our offer.

One of these, which we won, we decided to modify the Rails prototype so
that
it will reflect all requirements for the user interface. The rationale
behind this: It's faster to modify this in Rails and then port to the
platform that the client required. Furthermore, we want to make sure
that we
share the understanding of the system with the client. This is where a
prototype is way better than a written document.

In this way, we use Rails to gain equal expectations of the system's
capabilities. (Oh by the way, the contract obliges us still to document
our
work in word documents but I guess it's the way the enterprise world
still
works).

The third project has just passed a milestone where the client wanted us
give an estimate on how it could fit into their existing environment
(Microsoft technology). The client would choose between two options: 1.
Rails solution running on IIS and with MSSQL server. 2. A port of the
prototype to .NET (which is estimated to cost approximately 3 times as
much). I have no more details to share right now, but I'll definately
post
more (on justaddwater.dk ) when I can share more details on this
project.

I hope this responds to your questions.

/Jesper
Ashley M. (Guest)
On Wednesday 12 April 2006 09:30, Jesper Rønn-Jensen wrote:
> Two of the projects, were big offers in the public sector where we used
> Rails to define the user interface. In these cases, the clients had already
> chosen technology and platform. So Rails was only used for prototyping
> during the process where we wrote our offer.

Hi Jesper

I had a similar conversation with my boss.  We don't deal with any
really big
companies, so I found the idea that the client would come to us and say
"can
you do this, but it must be in XXX" strange.  Most of our clients are
more
concerned with rapid development and low cost than technology policy.

> I hope this responds to your questions.
Thanks, yes it does.  If I remember I'll check your blog and see how the
project goes.

Ashley
Gregory S. (Guest)
On Wed, Apr 12, 2006 at 10:30:09AM +0200, Jesper R??nn-Jensen wrote:
[...]
} The third project has just passed a milestone where the client wanted
us to
} give an estimate on how it could fit into their existing environment
} (Microsoft technology). The client would choose between two options:
1.
} Rails solution running on IIS and with MSSQL server. 2. A port of the
} prototype to .NET (which is estimated to cost approximately 3 times as
} much). I have no more details to share right now, but I'll definately
post
} more (on justaddwater.dk ) when I can share more details on this
project.

You might find Castle of some use here.
http://www.castleproject.org/index.php/Main_Page

} /Jesper
--Greg
Bill W. (Guest)
This is the eighth copy of the same message I've gotten.  Anybody else
seeing this?

On Wednesday 12 April 2006 14:12, Bill W. wrote:
> This is the eighth copy of the same message I've gotten.  Anybody else
> seeing this?

Sorry

This is either a bug in KMail or something up with my ISP.  Occasionally
an
e-mail gets stuck in the outbox even though it's sent, and it keeps
trying
and thinking it's failed.  It's usually not until I check the mailing
list
I'm reading I see it's done it again :(

Ashley
Xavier N. (Guest)
On Apr 12, 2006, at 15:12, Bill W. wrote:

> This is the eighth copy of the same message I've gotten.  Anybody else
> seeing this?

Yep!
Bill W. (Guest)
No worries.  Ain't technology great!  ;-)

Best regards,
Bill