Forum: Ruby on Rails Ruby 1.8.4, Rails 1.1 and Rmagick?

seth b. (Guest)
Someone mentioned that Rmagick doesn't work properly on this setup (Ruby
1.8.4, Rails 1.1)

Is this true?
Shane S. (Guest)
It does not on windows. The binary is compiled against rails 1.8.2 and
will
cause a ton of rails problems. I'm not sure if it works on linux/unix.
Jeff C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-12 00:21
subimage interactive wrote:
> Someone mentioned that Rmagick doesn't work properly on this setup (Ruby
> 1.8.4, Rails 1.1)
>
> Is this true?

That's been my experience.  Running RMagick in Rails with Ruby 1.8.4
caused errors when tab characters are used in an RHTML view.  It's
something to do with a method that's overloaded by both RMagick and the
ERb interpreter, or something like that.

I downgraded to Ruby 1.8.2 and things have been working fine.

Jeff C.man
Pete Y. (Guest)
I'm happily running Ruby 1.8.4, Rails 1.1.2, and RMagick 1.10.1 on OS
X and FreeBSD without any problems.

Pete Y.
http://9cays.com
seth b. (Guest)
How about running Rails 1.1.2 with Ruby 1.8.2?
Jeff C. (Guest)
on 2006-04-12 04:01
subimage interactive wrote:
> How about running Rails 1.1.2 with Ruby 1.8.2?

I'm running Rails 1.1.2 with Ruby 1.8.2 and haven't experienced any
problems so far.

The 1.8.4/RMagick issues are Windows-only.

Jeff
Ben R. (Guest)
Hi Jeff ~

> That's been my experience.  Running RMagick in Rails with Ruby 1.8.4
> caused errors when tab characters are used in an RHTML view.  It's
> something to do with a method that's overloaded by both RMagick and the
> ERb interpreter, or something like that.

The tab character errors have nothing to do with RMagick from what I
understand.  I just did a quick run through my site cleaning up the
tabs (which Linux had no issue with) and voila...  It really is a
better practice to use spaces in place of tabs.  I have EditPlus on
Windows set up to do two spaces when I hit tab instead of the tab
character.

~ Ben

On 4/11/06, Jeff C.man <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> --

Ben R.
http://www.benr75.com
Nicky Peeters (Guest)
on 2006-04-12 22:50
Forget Rmagick, it's a pain in the ass to compile all dependencies for
(on Mac OS X) and it's very hungry on memory when handling images. I
find Minimagick much 'leaner', it's a nice wrapper for the commandline
versions. This way, you don't have to worry about the compile hell that
is RMagick, en bypass any memory/garbage collection issue.

http://journal.gleepglop.com/articles/2005/12/04/i...

Just my practical, humble opinion (a.k.a. two cents)

Ben R. wrote:
> Hi Jeff ~
>
>> That's been my experience.  Running RMagick in Rails with Ruby 1.8.4
>> caused errors when tab characters are used in an RHTML view.  It's
>> something to do with a method that's overloaded by both RMagick and the
>> ERb interpreter, or something like that.
>
> The tab character errors have nothing to do with RMagick from what I
> understand.  I just did a quick run through my site cleaning up the
> tabs (which Linux had no issue with) and voila...  It really is a
> better practice to use spaces in place of tabs.  I have EditPlus on
> Windows set up to do two spaces when I hit tab instead of the tab
> character.
>
> ~ Ben
>
> On 4/11/06, Jeff C.man <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>> --
>>

> --
> Ben R.
> http://www.benr75.com
seth b. (Guest)
Yes but does Minimagick run on XP and Unix?

I routinely develop across XP and OSX and deploy on UNIX. Rmagick is the
only thing I know that works (semi-ok) on all 3.