Forum: Typo Passing info to sidebars

Victor J. (Guest)
Hi all,

  this is a question for the sidebar experts. I'm interested in having
access, from the sidebars, to information from the main controller.
I.e., I'd like to write a couple of sidebars for the article controller,
and its display action, that show the main page article's trackbacks, or
  metadata, or comments count, or whatever. I could obtain the id from
the request and do a search for it, but ideally I should be able to
directly obtain the main controller's @article.

  Is there a way and I am missing something obvious, or should a
mechanism be ideated to pass the @article from the main controller to
the sidebars? I've tried using the flash object but doesn't work (or I'm
not using it correctly).

  Any ideas? TIA

cheers,
Victor
Piers C. (Guest)
Victor J. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

>   Is there a way and I am missing something obvious, or should a
> mechanism be ideated to pass the @article from the main controller to
> the sidebars? I've tried using the flash object but doesn't work (or I'm
> not using it correctly).

The sidebar gets passed the 'contents' being rendered, which is a list
of the articles/pages/comments/whatever that's being displayed on the
current page. That's probably what you want.

Take a look at how the Amazon sidebar works.
Victor J. (Guest)
Excellent! thanks Piers!

Victor