Forum: Ruby Ways to find File MetaData information?

Dinesh U. (Guest)

Is there a way were we can find about the "meta data information" of an
existing file in the directory using  ruby,  like

1)When the file was created,
2)When was it modifed
3)when was it accessed.  etc.

ie. If we pass the "name/location  of the file" it should print the
creation / modified time of that particular file.

Thank You,
Dinesh
unknown (Guest)
> creation / modified time of that particular file.
To the best of my knowledge, Unix / Posix file systems only give you a
modification date (your OS may differ :). You can access that using some
of the class methods of File. You'll probably be "feeling lucky" at
google if you throw it "ruby File class".

Cheers,
  Ben
Alexandru E. Ungur (Guest)
>>> sender: "Dinesh U." date: "Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 03:53:27PM +0900" <<<EOQ
> Hi,
Hi,

> Is there a way were we can find about the "meta data information" of an
> existing file in the directory using  ruby,  like
>
> 1)When the file was created,
> 2)When was it modifed
> 3)when was it accessed.  etc.
Yes, there is: http://www.rubycentral.com/ref/ref_c_file.html
Just look for the *time methods.

Regards,
Alex
James B. (Guest)
Alexandru E. Ungur wrote:
>>1)When the file was created,
>>2)When was it modifed
>>3)when was it accessed.  etc.
>
> Yes, there is: http://www.rubycentral.com/ref/ref_c_file.html

That page has docs for Ruby 1.6.  You may prefer to look at the 1.8.4
(i.e. current stable release) docs:

http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/File.html

--
James B.

"In physics the truth is rarely perfectly clear, and that is certainly
  universally the case in human affairs. Hence, what is not surrounded
by
  uncertainty cannot be the truth."
  - R. Feynman
Alexandru E. Ungur (Guest)
>>> sender: "James B." date: "Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 11:14:03PM +0900" <<<EOQ
> > [..]
> >Yes, there is: http://www.rubycentral.com/ref/ref_c_file.html
>
> That page has docs for Ruby 1.6.  You may prefer to look at the 1.8.4
> (i.e. current stable release) docs:
>
> http://ruby-doc.org/core/classes/File.html
Oh, I would definitely prefer that :) thank you!

I was using the other one simply because it was listed here:
http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/ (which I think it's the 'official' Ruby
site? but I may be wrong there as well, I'm pretty new to Ruby), the
second link under 'Documents'.

Thanks again!

and have a good night everyone,
Alex