Forum: Ruby on Rails Are there any Czech people using Rails?

David M. (Guest)
on 2006-04-10 10:02
Hello,
how do you solve the problems with czech characters? Do you use unicode
or ISO-8859-2/WIN1250? How do use methods like String:upcase etc. that
dont use czech characters?

I would appreciate any hints for this.

Thanks,
David M.
Guest (Guest)
on 2006-04-10 17:57
David M. wrote:
> Hello,
> how do you solve the problems with czech characters? Do you use unicode
> or ISO-8859-2/WIN1250? How do use methods like String:upcase etc. that
> dont use czech characters?
>
> I would appreciate any hints for this.
>
> Thanks,
> David M.

I'm not Czech but I have experience with multilingual sites. I strongly
recommend unicode because it will save you from lots of headaches later.
It only requires some initial configuration (database encoding, KCODE,
http header, editor settings). Check the wiki for more detailed
description.

If you install the 'unicode' gem then you get methods like
Unicode.upcase etc.