Forum: Ruby Very nice article

Peter S. (Guest)
Hello,

I am not sure if this is a good place to post links to interesting
articles/blog entries (shout if not really), but i realy liked this
article:

http://www.slash7.com/articles/2006/03/22/s-o-s-sa...

and i was laughing my ass of at this one:

http://www.kyleshank.com/articles/2006/03/25/radra...

bw,
Peter
Jeppe J. (Guest)
I don't mind it. I really liked the first one, although I have never
seen
anyone asking how to build a forum or a chatsite. At least not here on
this
mailing list.

2006/4/8, Peter S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>:
James B. (Guest)
Jeppe J. wrote:
> I don't mind it. I really liked the first one, although I have never seen
> anyone asking how to build a forum or a chatsite. At least not here on this
> mailing list.

Why do you think that is?  How is that, despite the surge of interest in
Ruby, the general Ruby community does not appear to have an issue with
newcomers, certainly not to the point of creating a derisive
characterization for people lacking the various self-help skills
experienced developers take for granted?

It seems that the Rails community is encountering something of an
immigration problem, with a decided cultural impedance mismatch.

--
James B.

Bill G. (Guest)

> It seems that the Rails community is encountering something of an
> immigration problem, with a decided cultural impedance mismatch.

Here's my take on it:

The Rails influx is much like the immigrants from mexico.  In this
case, the Rails list is southern California, and the Ruby list is New
York.  The migration affects all, but it affects the Ruby list (NY)
much less than it affects the Rails list (CA).

Just a guess, but it seems to work as an analogy.
James B. (Guest)
Bill G. wrote:
> On 4/8/06, James B. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
>
> Just a guess, but it seems to work as an analogy.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of the immigration issues
in Western Europe; I believe there is a more striking collision of
cultures and expectations, and enculturation is far more conflicted.

I don't think the ruby-talk list gets fewer newbies than the Rails list,
but they may get a different reception here.

So maybe Rails is like France, and Ruby (in general) is like NYC.

Or something.

--
James B.

"Blanket statements are over-rated"
Robert D. (Guest)
> > The Rails influx is much like the immigrants from mexico.  In this
> > case, the Rails list is southern California, and the Ruby list is New
> > York.  The migration affects all, but it affects the Ruby list (NY)
> > much less than it affects the Rails list (CA).
> >
> > Just a guess, but it seems to work as an analogy.
> >

> I was actually thinking more along the lines of the immigration issues
> in Western Europe; I believe there is a more striking collision of
> cultures and expectations, and enculturation is far more conflicted.

As a Western European I strongly disagree. You cannot even judge the
whole
issue upon Western Europe as we are not *yet* the United States of
Europe.
France, where I am living right now is maybe having many troubles right
now,
*maybe*. Other contries do not, like
you have a different situation in different states.

I am well aware of the problems in my country, I am not aware of those
in
your country.

But if I would dare judging your country on the information I get from
the
media, believe me I would not talk to you.
***Most important point: If I would make the mistake to judge any people
according to their governement I could not even talk to myself!!!*******

As you might have gasped I have acquainted the French sensitiveness to
critics! So be aware ;)

Cheers
Robert

> --
> James B.
>
> "Blanket statements are over-rated"

--
Deux choses sont infinies : l'univers et la bêtise humaine ; en ce qui

- Albert Einstein
Peter S. (Guest)
> I don't think the ruby-talk list gets fewer newbies than the Rails list,
> but they may get a different reception here.
Well, ATM i am not (yet) subscribed to the RoR mailing list so i would
not
like to judge it based on some numbers, but according to the RoR
archives:

http://wrath.rubyonrails.org/pipermail/rails/

examining jan,feb,march the average count of posts is somewhere between
6000-8000 mails a month... Now that's quite a lot imho.
I could not get the same statistics for the tuby-talk (i did not find a
per-month view in the archives) but it seems to me (just based on my
everyday experience reading ruby-talk) that the average post count is
lower here...or? Does anybody has some numbers on this?

Peter
Jean-François (Guest)
Hello Peter,

> between 6000-8000 mails a month... Now that's quite a lot imho.
> I could not get the same statistics for the tuby-talk (i did not find a
> per-month view in the archives) but it seems to me (just based on my
> everyday experience reading ruby-talk) that the average post count is
> lower here...or? Does anybody has some numbers on this?

Well, check on Gmane :
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.general

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.ruby.rails

The messages per day curves show you how the lists grow.

     Jean-François.
Jeppe J. (Guest)
Wow the rails list is growing fast!
I didn't suspect that it was growing so fast.