Forum: Ruby a newbie. not getting run a script

san (Guest)
on 2006-04-08 17:20
how to start ruby programming
installed a irb.

started a tutorial as in following website
http://www.crai.archi.fr/RubyLibraryDepot/Ruby/RUB...

in programming chapter it asks to type and save a coding from text
editor (done) and then to run in a way
ruby hello.rb

it tried in the console but no result
i can type line by line in the irb and getting the result

can anyone help?????

san
Meinrad R. (Guest)
On 4/8/06, san <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> it tried in the console but no result
> i can type line by line in the irb and getting the result
>
> can anyone help?????
>
> san

if i understand your problem right you expected the script to produce
the same output as irb when run with ruby. if you want to see the
result of statements just print them out with p, print or puts.
hth,
-- henon
san (Guest)
on 2006-04-10 15:21
thanks henon

but actually i have tried with the puts...
i suppose i am not giving a command to invoke the program. let me
explain:

i have installed the irb.. somewhere in c:programfiles....
run irb from start menu
in text editor i type out a program *.rb
now where do i need to save OR
how do i give a proper path to run the *.rb file

thanks in advance
san
John (Guest)
on 2006-04-10 19:07
san wrote:
> thanks henon
>
> but actually i have tried with the puts...
> i suppose i am not giving a command to invoke the program. let me
> explain:
>
> i have installed the irb.. somewhere in c:programfiles....
> run irb from start menu
> in text editor i type out a program *.rb
> now where do i need to save OR
> how do i give a proper path to run the *.rb file
>
> thanks in advance
> san

Pass in a -r to either irb or ruby to load that module:

ruby -r yourmodule.rb

or

irb -r yourmodule.rb

Using the ruby command will load it non-interactively, so it'll run just
like a normal script.

That's if I understand your issue correctly.
Jeff Everett (Guest)
San,

Could you give us a little more information on this, like your system
info and a listing of the code you're trying to run?

It sounds like you have irb running, so ruby is there somewhere. Try:

ruby -v

just see which version of ruby you have and that it will respond at
all. Then type your program in Notepad ( I'm guessing your on Windows
) or some other editor and save it in a file myprogram.rb. Then you
should be able to:

ruby /path/to/myprogram.rb

And let us know what the result is, error or whatever...

Jeff
san (Guest)
on 2006-04-11 17:55
hi thanks all

the version is 1.68.8
i would try the procedures tonight and be back to you with results

regards
san
san (Guest)
on 2006-04-12 09:44
hi jeff/ john and all others

i have tried all the methods above but in vain
line by line commands are being executed but i could not run the program
as a whole

i have a screenshot of the commands. if you can plese look into it and
give your comments where i am going wrong. the first lines are same as
that in the file count.rb

since i could not upload image in this forum, i have created a blogger
http://santanusasmal.blogspot.com/

regards
santanu
Kev J. (Guest)
san wrote:

>since i could not upload image in this forum, i have created a blogger
>http://santanusasmal.blogspot.com/
>
>regards
>santanu

you must exit from irb before you can run the command irb -v, similarly
with the other commands that refuse to work.  irb is the interactive
version of ruby, it's not meant for running scripts.  to run a script,
open a new cmd prompt window and type in something like

ruby my_script.rb

Good luck
Kev
san (Guest)
on 2006-04-12 18:48
thanks kev

got the things right this time
will be back to disturb u all later with many more novice questions:))

san