Forum: Ruby Using Gems on windows

William (Bill) Froelich (Guest)
This is probably a newbie question but are there any issues with using
certain gems on Windows XP?

I'm running the InstantRails 1.1a and have been trying to experiment
with some of the gems.

Specifically I'm trying to use midilib and pdf-writer.  I've installed
both via

gem install midilib
gem install pdf-writer --include-dependencies

and both installed successfully as expected and pdf-writer also prompted
and installed the dependant gems as needed.  However if I then go into
an irb session I get false returned when trying to require them.

irb(main):001:0> require 'rubygems'
=> true
irb(main):002:0> require 'midilib'
=> false
irb(main):003:0> require 'pdf/writer'
=> false
irb(main):004:0>

The other gems I have tried have all worked as expected and returned
true when requiring them in this fashion.  Can anyone point me in the
right direction as to what I am / have done wrong?

Perhaps they are just not compatible with irb?  I say this only because
the pdf-writer demo.rb file (once modified to require 'rubygems') runs
without error when doing ruby demo.rb.

--Bill
Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-04-06 09:01
William (Bill) Froelich wrote:
> [..] However if I then go into
> an irb session I get false returned when trying to require them.
> [...] Can anyone point me in the
> right direction as to what I am / have done wrong?

You have done nothing wrong.  There is no problem.  If there were an
error, require would have thrown an exception.  See
http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/19#page100 for more details.

--
-- Jim W.