Forum: Ruby on Rails Development Mode on Dreamhost

Arch S. (Guest)
on 2006-04-05 20:17
Anyone know (or know where to point me to) to figure out how to force
Rails into development mode?  I'd like to not have to kill dispatch.fcgi
everytime I make a change.  My site is not live and I'm just doing
development and testing right now.

Thanks.
Takashi Okamoto (Guest)
you can set:

ENV['RAILS_ENV'] = 'development'

in environment.rb

but you should do all your development locally.

-tak.
Jason P. (Guest)
On Apr 5, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Arch S. wrote:

> Anyone know (or know where to point me to) to figure out how to force
> Rails into development mode?  I'd like to not have to kill
> dispatch.fcgi
> everytime I make a change.  My site is not live and I'm just doing
> development and testing right now.

Why wouldn't you do dev and testing locally?

--
Jason P.
removed_email_address@domain.invalid

"The computer allows you to make mistakes
faster than any other invention, with the
possible exception of handguns and tequila."

-Mitch Ratcliffe
Brian H. (Guest)
As a Dreamhost subscriber, I will be forced to hunt you down and slap
you
with a carp if you run in Dev mode. :)

But seriously...
fcgi + dev mode = memory leak, and that hurts everyone on a shared host.

Do your development on your own machine with WEBrick or Mongrel or your
own
Apache + FCGI.
Arch S. (Guest)
on 2006-04-05 20:51
Brian H. wrote:
> As a Dreamhost subscriber, I will be forced to hunt you down and slap
> you
> with a carp if you run in Dev mode. :)
>
> But seriously...
> fcgi + dev mode = memory leak, and that hurts everyone on a shared host.
>
> Do your development on your own machine with WEBrick or Mongrel or your
> own
> Apache + FCGI.

Ok will do.  Thanks.