Forum: Ruby on Rails "script/server -e production" doesn't work

Dave S. (Guest)
I've got an error that's only happening on my live webserver, so wanted
test on my local machine in the production environment.

On my local machine, I tried to run...

script/server -e production

... but get: server: invalid option: -e

Has this been disabled or renamed in 1.1?

I'm running gem Rails 1.1, Ruby 1.8.4, and the server is Lighttpd
1.3.16.

Thanks,

~Dave

--

Dave S.
Rent-A-Monkey Website Development

PGP Key: http://www.rentamonkey.com/pgpkey.asc
Craig W. (Guest)
On Tue, 2006-04-04 at 19:16 +0100, Dave S. wrote:

> I'm running gem Rails 1.1, Ruby 1.8.4, and the server is Lighttpd 1.3.16.
----
try launching with
ruby script/server -e production

but note, you can only have one server for each port so if you have
production running already on default port, it won't work. But

ruby script/server -e production -p 3100

should work (of course, users wanting to connect to 'production' would
have to use things like localhost:3100)

Craig
Dave S. (Guest)
On Tuesday 04 Apr 2006 19:22, Craig W. wrote:
> try launching with
> ruby script/server -e production
> but note, you can only have one server for each port so if you have
> production running already on default port, it won't work. But
> ruby script/server -e production -p 3100
> should work (of course, users wanting to connect to 'production' would
> have to use things like localhost:3100)

Thanks Craig, but I'm afraid that still doesn't work.  I normally do run
it
with "ruby" in front, but that doesn't make any difference here.  This
is on
my local machine, and it's definitely not running the server already.

FWIW, just to simulate that error, if I try to run two servers (in two
different terminal windows) I get:

2006-04-04 19:35:49: (network.c.235) can't bind to port 3443 Address
already
in use

So just to confirm: completely different error message for if what you
think
might be happening was happening.  This is on Gentoo Linux, if that
makes any
difference.  It's a site running in SSL mode on Lighttpd using a
self-signed
certificate.

Has been working fine for ages, and will run in production mode if I
make the
switch in my environment.rb - it just won't run in production straight
from
the command line.

Cheers,

~Dave