Forum: Ruby Re: Mongrel Web Server 0.3.12.2 -- Iron Mongrel (Parser Fix)

William (Bill) Froelich (Guest)
Ok so I tried this and it is asking me to choose the version.  What is
the difference between the ruby and mswin32 versions.  Is the ruby
version simply a generic version for all platforms including windows?

Just curious before I go an break something.  ;-)

--Bill

Upgrading installed gems...
Attempting remote upgrade of mongrel
Attempting remote installation of 'mongrel'
Select which gem to install for your platform (i386-mswin32)
 1. mongrel 0.3.12.2 (ruby)
 2. mongrel 0.3.12.2 (mswin32)
 3. mongrel 0.3.12.1 (mswin32)
 4. mongrel 0.3.12.1 (ruby)
 5. mongrel 0.3.12 (ruby)
 6. mongrel 0.3.12 (mswin32)
 7. mongrel 0.3.11 (ruby)
 8. mongrel 0.3.11 (mswin32)
 9. mongrel 0.3.10.1 (ruby)
 10. mongrel 0.3.10 (ruby)
 11. mongrel 0.3.9 (ruby)
 12. mongrel 0.3.8 (mswin32)
 13. mongrel 0.3.8 (ruby)
 14. mongrel 0.3.7.1 (mswin32)
 15. mongrel 0.3.7.1 (ruby)
 16. mongrel 0.3.7 (ruby)
 17. mongrel 0.3.6 (mswin32)
 18. mongrel 0.3.6 (ruby)
 19. mongrel 0.3.5 (ruby)
 20. mongrel 0.3.5 (mswin32)
 21. mongrel 0.3.4 (ruby)
 22. mongrel 0.3.4 (mswin32)
 23. mongrel 0.3.3 (ruby)
 24. mongrel 0.3.2 (ruby)
 25. mongrel 0.3.1 (ruby)
 26. mongrel 0.3 (ruby)
 27. mongrel 0.2.2 (ruby)
 28. mongrel 0.2.1 (ruby)
 29. mongrel 0.2.0 (ruby)
 30. Cancel installation

Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-04-04 22:42
William (Bill) Froelich wrote:
> Ok so I tried this and it is asking me to choose the version.  What is
> the difference between the ruby and mswin32 versions.  Is the ruby
> version simply a generic version for all platforms including windows?

The windows version has a precompiled binary for installing on windows
without hassle.  The Ruby version contains C code that must be compiled
as part of the installation.  The Ruby version can be installed on any
platform, but will require a compile environment.  Generally not a
problem on most unix based systems, but most Windows system don't have
the compiler available.

--
-- Jim W.