Forum: Ruby Length of backtrace displayed by ruby

Sylvain J. (Guest)
Is there a way to remove the maximum backtrace length displayed by the
interpreter when an exception terminates the process ? It makes the
backtrace
totally useless in situations where it is long *and* the interesting
calls
are in the middle.

Thanks

Sylvain
Yukihiro M. (Guest)

In message "Re: Length of backtrace displayed by ruby"
    on Wed, 5 Apr 2006 00:25:52 +0900, Sylvain J.
<removed_email_address@domain.invalid> writes:

|Is there a way to remove the maximum backtrace length displayed by the
|interpreter when an exception terminates the process ? It makes the backtrace
|totally useless in situations where it is long *and* the interesting calls
|are in the middle.

Not yet.  Do you (or anybody else) have any good API suggestion?

							matz.
unknown (Guest)
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Yukihiro M. wrote:

> Not yet.  Do you (or anybody else) have any good API suggestion?
>
> 							matz.

   Exception.backtrace_display_limit = 42

??

-a
Jim W. (Guest)
on 2006-04-04 21:26
Sylvain J. wrote:
> Is there a way to remove the maximum backtrace length displayed by the
> interpreter when an exception terminates the process ? It makes the
> backtrace
> totally useless in situations where it is long *and* the interesting
> calls
> are in the middle.

IIRC, this only happens when the exception is handled by the top level
interpreter.  If you catch the exception yourself at the top level you
can print out whatever you want, including the full stack trace.

--
-- Jim W.
Christian N. (Guest)

> Not yet.  Do you (or anybody else) have any good API suggestion?
>
> 							matz.

How about giving a full backtrace with ruby -d?
Stephen K. (Guest)
In message <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
removed_email_address@domain.invalid writes
>On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Yukihiro M. wrote:
>> Not yet.  Do you (or anybody else) have any good API suggestion?
>
>  Exception.backtrace_display_limit = 42

Exception.setFilter(regularExpression)

where the matching items are removed from the backtrace.

Stephen
unknown (Guest)
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Stephen K. wrote:

> In message <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
> removed_email_address@domain.invalid writes
>> On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Yukihiro M. wrote:
>>> Not yet.  Do you (or anybody else) have any good API suggestion?
>>
>>  Exception.backtrace_display_limit = 42
>
> Exception.setFilter(regularExpression)
>
> where the matching items are removed from the backtrace.

what would be matched?

   e.to_s, e.message.to_s, or e.backtrace.any?{|b|}

regards.

-a
Sylvain J. (Guest)
> IIRC, this only happens when the exception is handled by the top level
> interpreter.  If you catch the exception yourself at the top level you
> can print out whatever you want, including the full stack trace.
Yes, that's what I did as a workaround. But you have to do it for every
thread and every fork (which in my case is 4 different places)
Stephen K. (Guest)
In message <removed_email_address@domain.invalid>,
removed_email_address@domain.invalid writes
>> Exception.setFilter(regularExpression)
>>
>> where the matching items are removed from the backtrace.
>
>what would be matched?
>
>  e.to_s, e.message.to_s, or e.backtrace.any?{|b|}

Class and method name was what I was thinking of.