Forum: Ruby Ruby Language in Depth

Michael T. (Guest)
I'm looking for something akin to Stroustrup's C++ Programming
Language or The Design and Evolution of C++ for Ruby.  I love
Programming Ruby and it's a great resource, but not quiet deep enough
on all of the internals.  There's Matz's book Ruby in a Nutshell.  I
don't have that one, but I also heard that it's also somewhat an
overview.  I'm making my way through Ruby Hacking Guide, and
appreciate all the work everyone is doing on that, but it's not done
and the machine translation is just too tough to get my head around.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best resource at the moment?

Thanks,

Michael
pat eyler (Guest)
On 4/4/06, Michael T. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> I'm looking for something akin to Stroustrup's C++ Programming
> Language or The Design and Evolution of C++ for Ruby.  I love
> Programming Ruby and it's a great resource, but not quiet deep enough
> on all of the internals.  There's Matz's book Ruby in a Nutshell.  I
> don't have that one, but I also heard that it's also somewhat an
> overview.  I'm making my way through Ruby Hacking Guide, and
> appreciate all the work everyone is doing on that, but it's not done
> and the machine translation is just too tough to get my head around.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions for the best resource at the moment?

While it still might not be deep enough for you, I'm really enjoying
Ruby for Rails -- http://www.manning.com/books/black

I've not started chapter 17 yet, but it promises to be a guide to
reading
Rails internals. I'd think that would help with reading Ruby internals
(to a degree).

Another great way to learn more is to look at ParseTree --
http://rubyforge.org/projects/parsetree/

Sean C.'s post about checkr and ParseTree is a good indicator
of what you can learn --
http://sean-carley.blogspot.com/2006/04/debugging-...
Michael T. (Guest)
Excellent, thanks.  I'll check both of those out.  Actually I started
looking at ParseTree after looking at your article.  Thanks again.

Michael