Forum: Ruby on Rails Mongrel on AIX

Tom S. (Guest)
on 2006-04-04 14:47
Trying to get fcgi and apache to play nicely on AIX has turned nasty, so
I'm switching my hopes to mongrel for a solution. I've managed to get
all the gems and dependancies and everything set up, Or think I have.
There were a couple of errors during the install. Listed below.

<code>
gem install mongrel.gem
Attempting local installation of 'mongrel.gem'
cc: not found

Stop.
cc: not found

Stop.
ruby extconf.rb install mongrel.gem
checking for main() in -lc... no
creating Makefile

make
        cc -g  -I. -I/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-aix5.1.0.0
-I/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-aix5.1.0.0 -I.  -qalloca
-D_LINUX_SOURCE_COMPAT -qlonglong -c http11.c

make install
        cc -g  -I. -I/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-aix5.1.0.0
-I/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/powerpc-aix5.1.0.0 -I.  -qalloca
-D_LINUX_SOURCE_COMPAT -qlonglong -c http11.c
Successfully installed mongrel, version 0.3.12
Installing RDoc documentation for mongrel-0.3.12...

lib/mongrel/rails.rb:135:49: Skipping require of dynamic string:
"#{ops[:cwd]}/config/environment"
</code>

But it does say "Successfully installed mongrel"
Now when I try and run mongrel I get this message.

<code>
 mongrel_rails start -d
/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.12/lib/mongrel/rails.rb:28:
uninitialized constant Mongrel::HttpHandler (NameError)
        from
/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/rubygems/custom_require.rb:21:in
`require'
        from
/usr/local/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/mongrel-0.3.12/bin/mongrel_rails:4
        from /usr/local/ruby/bin/mongrel_rails:18
</code>

Has anyone else managed to get mongrel running on AIX (5.3)?
Have I missed something obvious in the error messages?
Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Zed S. (Guest)
Hey Tom,

Can you try the most recent Mongrel (0.3.12.1)?  It fixes this Rdoc
error.

That class loading error pops up with a few people and I've never been
able
to figure out why.  What's your ruby version?  Do you know if it was
compiled with gcc4?

Zed A. Shaw
http://www.zedshaw.com/
http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/

On 4/4/06 6:47 AM, "Tom S." <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> Trying to get fcgi and apache to play nicely on AIX has turned nasty, so
> I'm switching my hopes to mongrel for a solution. I've managed to get
> all the gems and dependancies and everything set up, Or think I have.
> There were a couple of errors during the install. Listed below.

<snip>
Paul W. (Guest)
On 04/04/06, Tom S. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:

> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.
>

> Stop.
> cc: not found
>
> make: 1254-004 The error code from the last command is 1.

Hi Tom,

I'm no expert (just started playing with mongrel myself) but it looks
to me that you don't have a compiler available - mongrel has a C-based
request parser that needs to be compile during installation.  It might
be as simple as path issue to your compiler.

Regards,

Paul.
Tom S. (Guest)
on 2006-04-04 18:53
> What's your ruby version?

1.8.4

> Do you know if it was compiled with gcc4?

We got the binaries from a very nice man who compiled it with IBM visual
age.

Paul - I'll pass your comments onto our sysadmin and see if he can fix
it. Thanks both of you for the help I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Tom