Forum: Ruby on Rails Maintaining and securing the "Perfect Rails/Debian/Lighttpd

Alder G. (Guest)
Hi there

I'm planning to build "The Perfect Rails/Debian/Lighttpd Stack",
published by Ezra Z. and Sean S. at
http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html

I'm wondering what sort of constant maintanance that setup would
incur. What actions have be regularly performed to keep this setup
healthy and secure under normal conditions?

Alder
Gaspard B. (Guest)
Alder G. <alder.green@...> writes:

> Alder

Please keep me informed (if possible) on this topic,

Thanks

Gaspard
Ezra Z. (Guest)
On Apr 4, 2006, at 4:52 AM, Gaspard B. wrote:

>> incur. What actions have be regularly performed to keep this setup
>> healthy and secure under normal conditions?
>>
>> Alder
>>
> Please keep me informed (if possible) on this topic,
>
> Thanks
>
> Gaspard

Guys-

	This is a very broad question ;-) IF you follow the steps to put
sshd on a higher port you will avoid tons of automated ssh attacks.
As far as maintenance goes, you will need to rotate your log files
and delete sessions older then a certain time frame with a cron job.

	THere is a great debian sys admin web site that has many tutorials
on things like firewall rules and other security measures. Aside from
these things mentioned, as long as you don't write insecure web apps
that allow attackers to gain a foothold, you should be alright.

http://www.debian-administration.org/

	Its not a ton of work to run your own server, especially if its just
for a few small apps. I have a vps setup with the same guidekines
that runs my blog and I hardly ever have to log into the server to do
anything. YMMV of course but don't be afraid of your own server. Its
a rewarding experience.

	And you can always ask here on the list and I will try to help out
with problems you run into.

Good Luck-

Ezra
Alder G. (Guest)
On 4/5/06, Ezra Z. <removed_email_address@domain.invalid> wrote:
> >> http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html
> >
>        THere is a great debian sys admin web site that has many tutorials
> a rewarding experience.

Thanks (again!) Ezra.

Alder
Alan F. (Guest)
on 2006-04-05 12:54
Alder G. wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm planning to build "The Perfect Rails/Debian/Lighttpd Stack",
> published by Ezra Z. and Sean S. at
> http://brainspl.at/rails_stack.html
>
> I'm wondering what sort of constant maintanance that setup would
> incur. What actions have be regularly performed to keep this setup
> healthy and secure under normal conditions?
>
> Alder

Hi Alder,

Just a note to say I followed the tutorial and all went swimmingly.  I
had a little problem when I went for a newer version of lighty than was
mentioned, reverted, all was well, and have since upgraded to a newer
newer version and all is still well.

Alan